Moved to Syd from the US, looking to continue pilot training

TheBFA

Howzit? I just moved here a few months ago after getting out of the US Navy. I was living in Hawaii and met my wife who lives here in Sydney and moved out here to live permanently. I have been in Aviation since 2000 starting out as a helicopter crew chief/door gunner/sensor operator/ and Rescue Swimmer (H-60 Seahawks) I later transitioned to the Gulfstream IV as a crew chief/ flight engineer where I was a cockpit crewman. I want to transition in being a pilot as my career and started my PPL in the US and have 35 hours and only have one CC solo left before doing a proficiency check and then check ride. I'd like to mention I have over 2100 flight hours as a crewman, 1100 of them as a cockpit crewman. I decided not to finish my PPL in the US because to transfer it to an Aus PPL, I would need (as I have been told) to do a proficiency flight, and then do a check ride, and a written exam, which is basically all I need to do to finish my PPL other than the last solo CC and I didn't want to have to pay for it twice.

I'm working now to take care of a few debts before getting into flight training again, but I will be starting shortly to finish up my PPL and have been interested in getting a tablet for flying. I haven't done much searching on here yet but I wanted to see what everyone was using. I don't know what it is, but I am so against getting any Mac products. I have a feeling that I might have to give in and get an ipad given the aftermarket support they have. I have been using Android based OS since it first came out on the first Droid phone in the US and love the feel of the OS. I know even the aviation app support is better for the Mac but it seems there are very usable apps on the Android. The biggest thing I want it for is for VFR sectionals and runway diagrams. I don't necessarily NEED the moving maps right now, but it wouldn't hurt. I don't know if I want to trust it enough to use as my note taking such as clearances and freqs, but I wanted to get an idea of what other pilots are using it for.

Howdy,

I also didn't want to get into the Apple system but I now have an iPhone and iPad because that is the only way to access OzRunways - search for the thread on that subject elsewhere in the forums.

We don't have sectionals - our VNC is similar but they don't cover the whole country. WACs are totally ICAO compliant so nowhere near as useful as US WACs so they must be used in conjunction with the ERC which is a different scale to help pilots get confused.

I hope you find an airplane to fly soon.

Guest Howard Hughes

There are 11 rescue helicopters in NSW, with that experience you would probably be able to get work with one of them!

Get back on cbr250.com bfa :PSeriously though, good to see im not the only person who wastes my money on both bikes AND planes :P

Wash your mouth out Nathan :roflmao:money spent on bikes and planes is never wasted, it is an investment in the quality of life.

Alan.

• Like 2

money spent on bikes and planes is never wasted, it is an investment in the quality of life.

Jeez... I must have the best quality life out there!!!! Im just to broke to enjoy it...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

The BFA, sorry to be the barer of supposed bad new (supposed because in the long run you will realize apple is simply BRILLIANT and correct the erros of your ways) but if you want the best app for VFR GPS use it is hands down Oz runways (even those who hate apple agree about this app).

If you get a stand alone GPS receiver eventually it makes it a very inclusive GPS system. In my opinion it is the only way to go, then again I do love apple!

There are 11 rescue helicopters in NSW, with that experience you would probably be able to get work with one of them!

I would LOVE to be able to get in as a rescue crewman for work while doing flight training. I originally wanted to go rotary wing but it seemed like helicopter pilots tend to sit on their jobs for awhile and there isn't much turnover.

Guest Howard Hughes
I would LOVE to be able to get in as a rescue crewman for work while doing flight training. I originally wanted to go rotary wing but it seemed like helicopter pilots tend to sit on their jobs for awhile and there isn't much turnover.

Try CHC at Bankstown, or Westpac rescue.