Flight Planning software question

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

Hi Folks

After much debate on what GPS to get, I ended up buying a Lowrance Airmap 600C. Took it flying, and it worked great. Very pleased with it! Then I went to install the supplied PC software on my computer.

It's a complete joke...only works in the US! Why they even sent it with the machine is unfathomable.

So now, after Ian has an opportunity to justifiably laugh at me for being an idiot, and not buying the Garmin unit from him, I need to get some decent flight planning software that I can use to plan flights, but it MUST be then downloadable to my GPS.

So, I wondered if anyone had used such things as Jeppesen FliteStar VFR Australasia edition? Even better, is there anything out there thats free, but still does the same sort of thing? Specifically, I'm looking for at least partially detailled maps, good waypopint and route marking, and airspace and such on the map! As I said, it must be then able to be downloaded to my GPS for use.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Hi Scott - I've just started using OziExplorer coupled with aviation maps from MapTrax - unfortunately whilst you can trial OziExplorer (for free) you will need to purchase both if you want to upload flight routes to your GPS.

I've checked the configuration menu and whilst it doesn't have the 600C it does have a heap of other Lowrance models.

It didn't have my Garmin 96C listed either but I used the 76C with no problems.

I will state emphatically that it's a magnificient method for creating waypoints and building routes as opposed to doing it on the GPS.

And once you've done that it automatically produces distances and bearings! It also prints the map (VTC, WAC - whatever) with the route and waypoints marked.

You've got to love these technology toys 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hope this helps.

Cheers.......Doug

Guest pelorus32

G'day Scott,

I use the Champagne Flightplanner 3000. It's great - everything you could ever need and a bit more. It downloads routes to my Garmin eTrex no worries.

Have a look at it - Australian, not cheap but not really expensive.

Regards

Mike

So now, after Ian has an opportunity to justifiably laugh at me for being an idiot, and not buying the Garmin unit from himScott

Scott, I would never laugh at you mate - there are so many GPS units out there and the only right decision on which one is best is the one you decide to get - so never look back and as you said "Took it flying, and it worked great. Very pleased with it!"