Dacron wing skin damage

We found this as part of 'unwrapping' my Thruster from a 3 week layoff. See what you think.

On Sunday morning we (Pol and me) were preparing go for a local flight, so Pol removed the wing covers and proceeded to have a good look around as the aircraft had not been moved for 3 weeks. I thought he was joking when he said there was some wing skin damage to the starboard wing tip top side, but it was no joke and I was certainly not laughing. On closer inspection there were a number of areas of damage but the wing tip upper surface area was the most concerning with a 25mm cut/tear right through the fabric. It appeared to be some sort of 'mechanical' damage - maybe a tree branch blowing in the wind, but the potential for that did not exist given the aircraft is housed in an open front hangar. Pol inspected the inside of the wing cover for the culprit and found a MOUSE NEST!!!!! The little.....varmints:bad_mood:

However, no wing fabric was found in the nest and the type of damage was not consistant with what a mouse would do. I was adamant it was mouse damage but Pol was equally adamant that it wasn't. On reflection, I now agree with him, so what caused the damage. I will post some photos for your consideration, and would be very interested in your thoughts.

Gay has put forward the idea that it may have been a cat scratching around between the wing skin and the covers trying to catch the mouse - Pol has got a flea bitten moggie too!! I just don't know.

We did go for a fly though, after patching the damage with 'stickback' patching fabric I just happened to have for these occasions, from Rolly Taskers the sail makers. The patch won't last long term though, as it has been applied over 'Armourall' which I used to protect the dacron fabric - does anyone know how to remove or neutralise Armourall?

1500134149_Wingskindamage1.JPG.fb9db134ca909ca7ce77a60f63c7b95c.JPG

361746265_Wingskindamage2.JPG.eaabc820e7f9f6ff61813a21cd42fcba.JPG

356201542_Wingskindamage3.JPG.21c5e9c751364711192ca8328c3f8368.JPG

2116728054_Wingskindamage4.JPG.83f61726458bcd4caefbb452f946e35a.JPG

If you zoom in you can see that the stitching has been cut in a few places. The damage certainly doesn't look like it has been made by an animal.

Pud

Thank you for your insightful advice 80kts.Do you seriously think the damage was caused by rodents?

Pud

To be honest with you, the damage appears to be pretty inconsistent with rodent damage. Looking at it from the pictures, it looks more like vandalism ...or damage caused by a much larger creature.

To be honest with you, the damage appears to be pretty inconsistent with rodent damage. Looking at it from the pictures, it looks more like vandalism ...or damage caused by a much larger creature.

How about an eagle - not that I felt anything on any of my flights?

I don't think vandalism is an option given the location, and the fact that the owner of the property, Pol, knows everything that happens on that property - I swear he knows I'm there before I do!!

Pud

How about an eagle - not that I felt anything on any of my flights?I don't think vandalism is an option given the location, and the fact that the owner of the property, Pol, knows everything that happens on that property - I swear he knows I'm there before I do!!

Pud

Could it be 'hangar rash' (do you share your parking space with another plane)?

Could it be 'hangar rash' (do you share your parking space with another plane)?

I share with another Thruster, Pol's Gemini. As such, no part of his aircraft could get to the top surface of my wings. Only 2 people (3 if I count Gay) have been inside that hangar and the aircraft have never moved from being tied down, as they always are. Mystifying to say the least.

Pud

Guest Maj Millard

If you have rodents in the wing Pud, how about owls or even bats trying to get at them at night. I once had my plane out of the hangar at night, with the hangar light on. As I was preparing to put it back in, a large owl swooped and flared right above me, quite spectacular at the time. He seemed to be swooping down at the aircraft until he decided it wasn't a real good idea.These guys home in on sound.

Also wouldn't count out hangar rash...................................................................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

If you have rodents in the wing Pud, how about owls or even bats trying to get at them at night. I once had my plane out of the hangar at night, with the hangar light on. As I was preparing to put it back in, a large owl swooped and flared right above me, quite spectacular at the time. He seemed to be swooping down at the aircraft until he decided it wasn't a real good idea.These guys home in on sound.Also wouldn't count out hangar rash...................................................................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

A well experienced pilot friend of mine, the runt, is in no doubt the damage has been caused by hangar rash - how and why has got me though. Interesting about the owl Maj... The Thruster is well covered with quite thick soft wing covers to the entire upper surface and end of the wings so I would be doubtful about hangar rash or bird attacks. I'll inspect the wing covers for damage next chance I get.

Pud

Given the open-fronted hangar plus the ferocity of the wind gusts in some of the storms we've had over the past weeks, I'd be tempted to guess that something bigger and harder than a mouse was being blown around in (or off) the hangar - say a part sheet of galvanized iron or the like. Was there any indication of corresponding damage to the wing covers in/near the positions of the dacron damage? Failing that, I reckon it could be Pol getting back at you for taking your wife flying instead of him.

• Like 1

Given the open-fronted hangar plus the ferocity of the wind gusts in some of the storms we've had over the past weeks, I'd be tempted to guess that something bigger and harder than a mouse was being blown around in (or off) the hangar - say a part sheet of galvanized iron or the like. Was there any indication of corresponding damage to the wing covers in/near the positions of the dacron damage? Failing that, I reckon it could be Pol getting back at you for taking your wife flying instead of him.

Just got a post in before you Riley and will definitely inspect the wing covers. I reckon you could be onto something with Pol though - he's a jealous ol' coot sometimes. Still if I ask him nicely he might inspect the covers for me.

Pud