Garmin SL40

Flash

Has anyone used the 2 place intercom function on the Garmin SL40? We are building a SeaRey and were looking at this unit, in particular for this function. Any other recommendations?

Di:yin_yan:

• 8 months later...

No idea how well this intercom works, but I may be finding out quite soon. My J160C has a PM501 intercom and a SL40...and Jabiru don't know how to wire the two up so they work together! They've been test-flying it with a temporary radio. 80K worth of aeroplane, avionics supplied, and they still haven't got the radio interfaced with the intercom!?

I'm throwing the whole mess back to the avionics supplier who sold me the SL40 , and the Garmin 327 txpndr. He can liaise with Jabiru about the pinouts on the PM501 and build a harness to connect my SL40 to the PM501. I only have to pay for it once...provided it works. The encoder and transponder connect with a cable which was supplied with the encoder. I'm not sure whether Jabiru have managed to fathom this out yet. The problem is my gear isn't Microair and Microair...for a very good reason.

Basically, Jabiru want a wiring harness they can just plug in and it works. They know how to build these for Microair but nothing else. If my avionics supplier can't build it then maybe I'll see how good the SL40 intercom really is...and I'll be taking my soldering-iron up to Jabiru when I go to collect the little aeroplane.

The SL40 is a good radio, and significantly more capable than the Icom A200 which it resembles in no small manner.

• 7 months later...
Guest Tony Niovanni

Garmin SL40 & 327 transponder

Hi Dieselten,

I have just fitted a new Garmin SL40 And 327 Transponder and i am extremely happy with the result of both the units.

I had another brand with very poor results,

I am sure you will be pleased with the outcome and it is not hard to interface or wire in the units. talk to a good radio tec,

happy flying,

Tony:thumb_up:

Guest Michael Coates

There is nothing wrong with the SL40 intercom, its good, but not the best out there. Wiring them together is a no brainer ?? I just dont think Jabiru want to do it. Find an avionics shop, any of them will do it.

Guest Nelson Smith

Hi Dieselten,

I don't understand why you would want a PM501 with an SL40 when the SL40 has built in intercom + VOX.The built in intercom in the SL40 seems quite adequate.It would be a different story if you needed a 4 place intercom.

Cheers Nelson

Seems interesting Dieselten as Jabiru supply SL40's as standard with their NVFR models at the moment. Sounds like Leisurebuild or AMI as missing something here?

I think you will find its the SL30 they fit on the NVFR models as it is the NAV/COM version. The SL40 is the COM.

And yes I just walked into the dining room to check what was on the table in the pile of goodies I have accumulated....... the lengths one goes to in order to provide factual information!

J

PS They should fit the GNC300Xl instead, how many folk in a J230D are used to or have a VOR to track to. And speaking of tracking, I do not see in the 230D a CDI. I know the D100 now can display a HSI from an SL30, however you really do need the HS34 to go with it. Without a CDI or HSI the Nav function is not a lot of good!031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif