In pursuit of pursuit 10

The good stuff

I just driven back to Sydney today from Melbourne having picked up my single seat trike called Pursuit 10. This trike was built by Peter wood using Aerialpursuits plans (Original design based on Chaser-S trike in UK) Peter`s workmanship is second to none as can be seen from the build quality/finish of the trike. I am bit tired now having driven all day so will just post some photos. In photo one Peter and I are standing next to trike frame and the flying photo is from peter`s collection. Will post more info on the trike in next couple of days.

The bad stuff

I don’t know how to fly a trike as yet (hopefully not for long- and no I am not using the manual called how to teach yourself to fly a high performance single seat trike)

pursuit10_01.JPG.75b5c25290d4f1d59961386dce847210.JPG

pursuit10_02.JPG.f45bad6d12d32ca7bc38b6c6132095f1.JPG

pursuit10_03.JPG.a1892e14b35a080c7e6cb96c361b7969.JPG

Guest Fred Bear

Congrats Sunny! I knew something was going on ;) Does this mean that I get the Drifter? Ha ha ha 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Are you going to keep it at The Oaks? Because we are in Canberra this weekend we will not get to see it this weekend but the one after...Single seater hmmmmm 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif Are you going to take lessons at Wollongong? Mate, it's the same as your hang glider but with a little more power 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Well done anyway. I don't know what you do to your wife or for your wife to allow for this...

Guest Fred Bear

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Good to see you working your keyboard out my friend 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif If I can get Emma in it, I'll buy it or share in it. Drifter, not likely. But yes, it is a nice machine. Lots of fun too folks! See our flying pics.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

Well we all got to see Sunny's 'new girl' today at The Oaks. What a wonderful tidy machine too! After a couple of goes trying to start her she kicked over and there was no stopping our Sunny doing some nice taxiing runs with his new machine.Hopefully the clear blue skies will be waiting for you at The Oaks soon mate :) Seems like the sort of machine you could have stacks of fun in! Here are some pics of Sunny on the strip, err, minus wings! Welcome home Miss Trike.

Guest Fred Bear
New stealth wing!! or the super thin Mach 3 wing?

I can't tell you. I'd have to kill you but it's something like the SR-71 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

From Darrens photos it looks like I was having fun but I really did have a tough time trying to control the trike base on the ground. The greatest problem was reverse inputs on foot pedals. Also when trying to apply breaks (on left peddle), couple of times the nose wheel turned to right and in trying to rectify this the throttle kicked up (by right foot –which controls left turn and throttle) any inputs / views from fellow trikers in ground handling would be highly appreciated.

Original Chaser S trike (Pursuit 10 is pretty much identical) was known to be bit tricky in ground handling . Following description of Chaser S is from a UK microlight website.

Originally manufactured by Cyclone Airsports, the Chaser S is a very attractive single seat microlight which features a noticeably small wing and which lends itself extremely well to competition flying. Cyclone Airsports and Solar Wings later merged to become Pegasus Aviation and subsequently the Chaser became the Pegasus Chaser and was marketed as a high performance single seat microlight favoured by the competition pilot. The small nature of the trike can make getting in and out a somewhat more difficult task than most 2-seaters yet the Chaser will accommodate tall pilots with a little practice and perfection in entry and exit technique. It has often been said that you don't sit in a Chaser - you wear it. The seating position is quite reclined and is actually very comfy. The control-bar position is quite different to most dual seaters yet its feel compliments the rest of the aircraft perfectly in the air if a little tricky on the ground handling. The Chaser is known for it's tricky ground handling characteristics but this is not a problem for the experienced pilot. The Chaser is commonly seen with the Rotax 447 engine but is also available with a 377 two stroke or the Rotax 503 engine.

General Information :

Type: Weightshift

Seats: 1

Introduced: Unconfirmed

No. Produced: Unconfirmed

Price when launched: Unconfirmed

Guest Crezzi

I intend no offence but I think the key part of your quotation could have been but this is not a problem for the experienced pilot. Believe me - any 3-axis pilot is going to struggle with the ground handling of a trike at first & its good to see you doing the best thing and practising it :-)

I owned a Chaser for a couple of years (in the UK) and the comments you quoted are basically accurate. The caster angle of the front forks is rather less than on other trike models which makes the steering quite twitchy - its something you have to get used to .

I'm lanky & 6 foot & it took me a little while to get used to the Chaser. One specific problem I had was difficulty bending my ankles up enough to not be unintentionally pressing on the pedals when steering. I was taxying with half throttle and dragging the brake. This was solved by making new pedals bent back a few degrees so in the non-applied position they were further away from my feet.

Hope that helps

John

Guest Crash Lander
the fuel tank is integreted in the pilot seat. it holds 42 lts fuel.

I hope there's a pretty thick cushion under you! I'm not so sure I'd be all that comfortable sitting right on top of that much fuel! :;)3:

Nice looking a/c though! Congratulations!

Guest ozzie

I had a chance to fly the first trike in Australia long time back. After flying three axis i found the opposite control sense pretty scary when you needed to act fast, even when having flown hanggliders before hand.

So after a bit of disscussion in the factory i dug around in the scrap bin and knocked up an old fashion billy cart with foot and rope steering.

This worked. Problem was extreme caution needed when jumping from the trike to 3 axis and back again. Whilst the others built copies of this machine i decided to give it a miss and stick with 3 axis. There is a definite phase of grey during the early hours of transitioning and it goes both ways.

The trike/billy cart method of steering is a natural movement for humans when we walk and turn to the right it is the left leg that leads the turn and is placed on the ground first. The rudder system on a three axis machine is the unnatural way. When they built the first aircraft it was easier to bolt the cable to the rudder BAR and run it straight back to the control horn saving the complication of crossing the cables.

Tread softly friend, others have come to grief from this.

Ozzie

Guest Fred Bear

Ozzie,

That's what I said I worry about. The transition back and forth between each machine. Not an easy task.

I hope there's a pretty thick cushion under you! I'm not so sure I'd be all that comfortable sitting right on top of that much fuel! :;)3:

think of it as, well, the budget version of the good old martin baker explosive propelled ejection seat ;)

• 7 months later...
Guest Birdman

I'm a convert from trike to 3 axis, a few years ago now. It takes a while but you need to spent time in it and get your reflexes going the right way. Laurie

Guest Birdman

When you get comfortable in the trike, I mean really comfortable with at least 50 solo hours, then get back into the drifter. After a while you will be able to go back and forth and feel equally comfortable in both. That's what I found anyway.

I have a solution for the steering problem which will also add to the flyable range of the pilot. Fly with your legs crossed.

Ian Borg

you are a genius borgy 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif but I would hate to think of the tangled mess you gonna leave for the investigators if you happen to crash while trying to scratch your leg (may be cross your hands too to find the correct scratchy leg) ;)

Last few months hav'nt been favourable for me for flying for personal reasons, but now things are under control and I am back in the game. I have started with the training and its a matter of finding few more good flyable weekends before I get my ticket.