The Jericho Jailbreak

This show is coming up at 9:30 tonight on SBS. The famous precision bombing raid by a Mosquito squadron. Wooden aeroplanes rule!

Yep it was great.

Especially how they retraced their flightpath at less than 100 ft in a Cessna 410 (? I think). At one stage(in the modern reconstruction) they showed them flying right over the Australian Memorial at Villers-Bretoneaux.

Just had a look at RAF Hendon on Google maps-can still make out the airfield very clearly. Now to fly around that countyside and visit thoses fields is something I MUST do.

Yep it was great.Especially how they retraced their flightpath at less than 100 ft in a Cessna 410 (? I think). At one stage(in the modern reconstruction) they showed them flying right over the Australian Memorial at Villers-Bretoneaux.

Just had a look at RAF Hendon on Google maps-can still make out the airfield very clearly. Now to fly around that countyside and visit thoses fields is something I MUST do.

Old battlefields like that must be littered with such relics, many erased by later developments.

South of Darwin are many old WWII airfields; the highway runs right along a couple. When driving thru the bush you sometimes stumble on an old airstrip or taxiway. The bush takes a long time to grow back.

There is suposed to be a war grave of aircraft south of Tennant Creek in the dessert. I don't know if it is true but it was always talked of when I lived there.

You hear stories about aircraft being buried; the Spitfires found in Burma seem to have stirred up interest again.

There was talk of Spitfires being hidden down old mine shafts near Oakey.

Back in the fifties, my Dad was sent down from Williamtown to Rathmines (we were living in married quarters in Booragul at the time, so he didn't have far to go each day) to help take boat loads of unwanted Catalina tools and spares out into Lake Macquarie and dump them. Complete toolboxes were just thrown overboard.

I know though, that not all of the highly corrosion resistant Zircaloy spanners (black, ugly looking suckers, but jeez they were tough) that were amongst the stuff being dumped, went splash.

Unfortunately, in '83, I lost the set I had when some bastard broke into my house on Nauru and stole my toolbox. Odds are though, that whoever has them now is still getting good service out of them. Which is better than having them cluttering up the bottom of Lake Macquarie.