Another Newbie !

Guest b1rd

Guest b1rd

Hi folks,

1st post .... just joined the forum. Has to be a good place if you're all interested in the wonderful world of ultralights ! And by logical progression you must be all a great bunch of chaps /chappettes ;). A rare breed these days perhaps. It's not everyone's cup of tea. I look forward to having some fun, finding out info and making friends ... all without making too much of a fool of myself ! Perhaps it's already too late :clown:.

[ATTACH]2585.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2586.vB[/ATTACH]

From as far back as I can remember I have always had an interest in the aircraft of the early 20th century from 1903 up to the end of WW1. I don't know why really but there it is. They are just fascinating creatures.

About 25 years ago I signed up with a long ago bankrupt company and learnt to fly in what I think from memory was the Robertson b1rd (pics above). It was a wonderful experience but they went broke before I could finish the course and get my certificate .... then marriage, kids etc got in the way and I got side-tracked and the pursuit of my first love was dashed !

But my passion was rekindled recently and after a stint in flight-simming I thought why not .... so I googled and found The Oaks an hour or so out of Sydney near Camden and dropped in unannounced Sunday week ago.

I ended up taking to the air in the tail dragging Lightwing on an introductory flight and was hooked all over again. The instructor virtually let me take off and land .... something I wasn't expecting .... and it was brilliant of course. 30 minutes of sheer exhilaration. I have sent off the forms and fees to the recreational authorities and will begin flying lessons proper as soon as time allows.

So here I am.

Cheers,

b1rd.

b1rd.jpg.b223e12581693b373d0b7eb3e6f85018.jpg

b1rd1.jpg.d517ba455fc1c3ba3322ae7060aa804d.jpg

Good to see ya back with the boys & girls

I have only seen one B1RD up close and that was at Holbrook when I was flying Quicksilvers at the time (10 years ago?). Pretty basic A/C I must say and the funny thing about it was the fact of the control stick was above the pilots head, that would have been a task within itself getting the hang of.

Anyhow enjoy the flying.

Knighty

Guest Fred Bear

G'day buddy. Welcome to the forum. Good to have yet another Oaks flier here :) Just wondering do you fly with Arthur or with Dave? Let me know. Missus, kids and I will be out there on the weekend. Beaut machine there!

Guest b1rd

G'day Knighty, the b1rd I flew had a conventional stick and rudder bar config with aileron lateral control .... no wing warping like the Wheeler scout. Didn't have the stick above the pilot .... now that would be weird ! However it was a very minimalist aircraft but is was affordable, fun and true "seat of the pants". GA would have none of that sort of rubbish. Looking back I wonder if it was legal ? The guys were somewhat "backyard" operators and flew out of a small grass strip near Mittagong. Had to fly at dawn ... too windy any other time for a learner lol. Anyway it was great fun while it lasted.

Hi Darren,

Yep Dave took me up. He's a great bloke. I'll be there on the weekend. Wild horses couldn't keep me away ! Look forward to meeting you and any others that turn up. Which day Saturday, Sunday ... both ?

Guest Fred Bear
Yep Dave took me up. He's a great bloke. I'll be there on the weekend. Wild horses couldn't keep me away ! Look forward to meeting you and any others that turn up. Which day Saturday, Sunday ... both ?

Ok mate. Excellent. Dave is a good bloke and you will find so is Arthur next door (when you meet him). He has some craaaaazy r/c a/c too :;)2: Mate, I will be there either Sat or Sun depending on the weather but Sat if it's all good. Take the Jabiru for a spin.

Guest b1rd
Ok mate. Excellent. Dave is a good bloke and you will find so is Arthur next door (when you meet him). He has some craaaaazy r/c a/c too :;)2: Mate, I will be there either Sat or Sun depending on the weather but Sat if it's all good. Take the Jabiru for a spin.

Thanks mate. Here's hoping for good weather. I was down there on Sunday 6th May right in the middle of that glorious patch of beautiful autumn weather we had. Clear skies, little wind and warm.

I had actually intended signing up with the SRFC, but as it was Sunday I couldn't see any sign of them so I approached a bunch of eclectic looking aviators chewing the cud outside a tiny office who turned out to be "The Oaks Flyers". I didn't realise there were 2 clubs on the one strip ... or are they one in the same ? Anyway, Dave had his "Chief Flying Instructor" cap on and was happy to take me up amongst much laughter from the others. Felt right at home. So I signed up with Daves Flying School.

Now the Jabiru is a fine aircraft ..... but it may be a little sophisticated and fast for me lol. Not really ....should be fun ... but it's not a tail-dragger 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif . R/C a/c .... sounds interesting. Hope to see you there.

cheers,

Tony.

Guest Fred Bear

Mate, generally Arthur is not there on a Sunday, hence the reason you found Dave and Coy. I fly from Daves joint too. As I mentioned, we will be there one of the two days. If Saturday is ok, it will be Saturday. If Sunday is the better day then we will be there then. You should be able to see me by my profile pic.If not, I am the one with the lady and the two kids!!! I'll take you for a spin in that Jab. Not bad once you get her under your thumb! ;)

Guest b1rd
Mate, generally Arthur is not there on a Sunday, hence the reason you found Dave and Coy. I fly from Daves joint too. As I mentioned, we will be there one of the two days. If Saturday is ok, it will be Saturday. If Sunday is the better day then we will be there then. You should be able to see me by my profile pic.If not, I am the one with the lady and the two kids!!! I'll take you for a spin in that Jab. Not bad once you get her under your thumb! ;)

A spin in the Jab .... cheers mate that'd be great ! See you there.

Guest Fred Bear
gee! theres enough people at the oaks now! the runway should be sealed soon! new terminal building and all!

Soon there will be need for a tower 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Fred Bear
Welcome.How many members of this forum fly from The Oaks and is there anywhere else as busy?

Ian, Ian may be able to give you an exact number. Not sure??? He may be able to do some sort of search. There is a few of us out there though. I could not give you an exact number but I personally know about 10 forum members off here at the field.

Guest b1rd

Terminals, towers and sealed strips ! Nah .... let's all get together and build some more hangers :) .... current and potential a/c owners may find that useful !

Damn ... dreamin' again..... somebody stop me. Will I ever wake up ?

Guest Fred Bear
et's all get together and build some more hangers

That won't happen there (as much as we would all love it). Strip owner wants it to stay as is. Lucky to have somewhere to fly at all I say. Hope it stays that way and the Macquarie Group does not come and make him an offer.

Guest b1rd
That won't happen there (as much as we would all love it). Strip owner wants it to stay as is. Lucky to have somewhere to fly at all I say. Hope it stays that way and the Macquarie Group does not come and make him an offer.

Sorry this may be a little off topic but I agree ! I understand the CEO of Macquarie Bank receives an annual salary of 33 million bucks. Perks on top of that I expect. How obscene is that. It cannot be justified. The greed and unapologetic behaviour of the corporate world leaves a very nasty taste. My opinion only.

Hi b1rd,

Welcome to the forum and more importantly WELCOME BACK TO FLYING. I am one of the few people on this forum who do NOT fly at the Oakes, although I have put it on my 'must fly in one weekend when I get my new J160' list. I started flying late in life but am hooked, so I know how you feel when you get your feet off the ground.

Cazza

Guest Fred Bear
i heard a rumour that a few yrs ago, the land the Oaks airfield is on was for sale?

May have been the case back then amongst many other rumours, one even being a motorway was going in there????Does not seem the case now (good for us).Hope we have not opened a can of worms with this thread 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest b1rd
Hi b1rd,Welcome to the forum and more importantly WELCOME BACK TO FLYING. I am one of the few people on this forum who do NOT fly at the Oakes, although I have put it on my 'must fly in one weekend when I get my new J160' list. I started flying late in life but am hooked, so I know how you feel when you get your feet off the ground.

Cazza

Thanks for the warm welcome Caz. This is a great forum with so many experienced people. I feel I have a sharp learning curve ahead and I'll have to get back into "study" mode lol .... something I haven't done since ....well .... a long time. But I need something to get the old grey matter ticking over again. I admit I have been on cruise mode for too long.

Every man and woman needs a hobby or passion to reduce the relentless boredom/ritual of everyday life. And what better than in a flying machine with a nice hot cuppa and a lie down afterwards lol !

May have been the case back then amongst many other rumours, one even being a motorway was going in there????Does not seem the case now (good for us).Hope we have not opened a can of worms with this thread 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Please Darren .... don't pre-empt fate. let's not mention this awful possibility again. It doesn't exist right .... never did ... never will.

Long live The Oaks ;)

i have always said if i win Lotto i would try to buy the oaks airfield, and put in heaps of hangars down the western side, with clubhouses,, and seal 1 on the eastern side with a few properties to be sold to aviators, airpark style and keep the western runway grass for the "purists"!

Guest b1rd
i have always said if i win Lotto i would try to buy the oaks airfield, and put in heaps of hangars down the western side, with clubhouses,, and seal 1 on the eastern side with a few properties to be sold to aviators, airpark style and keep the western runway grass for the "purists"!

I'm with you UL. I'm "visualising" you winning Looto right now. Long live the purists.

• 9 years later...
Good to see ya back with the boys & girlsI have only seen one B1RD up close and that was at Holbrook when I was flying Quicksilvers at the time (10 years ago?). Pretty basic A/C I must say and the funny thing about it was the fact of the control stick was above the pilots head, that would have been a task within itself getting the hang of.

Anyhow enjoy the flying.

Knighty

Hi Knightly if your still around, yes you may have seen a B1rd at Holbrook HULC or Cowera or even Wagga, but none I have ever seen and I have a lot of data on them and manuals, ever had a control above the pilots head, maybe a scout as suggested, but certainly not a Robertson B1rd or B2rd,

Neville White in 1978 after purchasing a Scout which he found unsuitable. He built sixteen of the aluminium tube and sailcloth CAB Wasps. Neville — honoured as a Pioneer by RA-Aus in 2008 — is a member of the Holbrook Ultralight Club. The wasp not unlike the Scout and Sky Rider and The Stolero did resemble the B1rd from a distance so easy to be confused.