PILOT IN COMMAND.

Guernsey

In the thruster manual it states the plane can be flown from either the left or right seat with one person on board. I understand that to fly an raa registered plane from either seat it must state this in the POH.

Terry

• Like 1

Guys this left / right thing was discussed in a recent thread. It was spelt out in the Ops Managers column in the magazine quite some time ago that if the aircraft was designed to be flown from the left seat that is where the PIC must be unless an instructor. This is regardless of whether you can reach / see everything. I had cause to question this as at the time I was doing demo flights with people for aircraft sales and wanted to put the potential buyer in the left seat where they would be more comfortable. I had spent time with a CFI getting familiar & then a few hours solo in the right to get really comfortable.The answer from the Ops manager was still a firm no.

While doing the sales thing I did have one guy enquire about the possibilty of making a panel with all the flight instruments on the right side because he only flew from that side. He had been flying a homebuilt that he had configured that way too. Don't know how the Ops Manager would have viewed that one.

Who was the Ops Manager at the time and was he stating it as his personal opinion or is it in a written official regulatorial document?

Alan.

• Like 2

Who was the Ops Manager at the time and was he stating it as his personal opinion or is it in a written official regulatorial document?Alan.

It was Mick Poole, when he mentioned it in the magazine he was not aware that I was doing it so I was not the one that prompted it. I did contact Mick after seeing it in the mag and also explained that I had been checked out by my CFI but the answer was still a firm no.

My guess would be that publishing it in the Ops managers column in the magazine would make it more than just a personal opinion but not really an offical regulatorial document. Still not something I would like to find out the hard way by having something go wrong and then finding you have no insurance because PIC was in a seat that we have been advised not to use. We all know how hard most insurance companies will work to get out of paying. 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif

• Like 1

Cheer's for that Alan, that makes sence. I guess checking POH should be first thing to check with any quierries on a aircraft operations.

Not owning a aircraft, has anyone seen what there POH states.

Just checking Jabiru 160c POH. Section 1 General. " The cockpit is designed to accomodate the PIC on the left side and all controls and all controlls, instruments and switches are located as to be within easy reach of the occupent of that seat. Duplicated flight controls are provided on the RH side of the cockpit." This is in section 1 page 14.

But, in section 2:16 Other Limitations. it states "As the seat beside pilots seat is equiped with a functioning set of flight controls, refer to operational requirments for the occupation of this seat by a passenger."

Now trying to find operational requirments, to see what that may say.

I saw a Cub with a placard stating "must be flown from inside only".

If all the controls are able to be accessed I cannot see why not. Some tandem seat planes are flown from a particular seat usually for balance considerations. I have flown a Gazelle and a Skyranger solo from thr RHS. The Cubs were flown from the rear in the earlier versions and from the front with the Super Cubs. . Left seat for command is the common thing but some helicopters are flown from the rh Seat. Robinson?Vision is better for left circuits , from the left seat. ( but you still do right circuits when needed). Nev

The vision from a Piper Super Cub I fly in is equally good for left and right hand circuits. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

The vision from a Piper Super Cub I fly in is equally good for left and right hand circuits. 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

Same with my plane, I can never make up my mind which side to use, so just sit in the middle... poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

• Like 3