About summer flying

Guest Fred

so on these hot days we're talking about do you find its bumpy all the way up to the ceiling? Or closer to the ground, say 1000 feet? Forgive me if its a dumb question, still early days for me...Went out this past Saturday (Bankstown) and that level of gust and x-wind was past my comfort level at the moment... wouldn't want to do that every time, but its good to have experienced it. Even if I did chew holes in my seat cushion...

Sounds like an interesting summer coming up for me then.The weightshift microlights I have flown can be a pain in the rough conditions with the control bar slapping around.See how

my flying lounge goes this summer.bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif

If you are getting close to the ceiling wouldn't it be better to do it out side? ( Just Joking ).

There is a thing called the inversion level that rises during the day. In the centre of australia it get's up well over 10,000 ' in the afternoon. Thermal convection occurs below it but it is usually calmer conditions above it. This is why flying early in the day is recommended for smoother conditions. If there are strong winds aloft the thermal activity brings those winds down to lower levels when there is strong sunlight, and you get gusting. Similarly when the sun goes down mostly the winds abate considerably lower down but remain strong at height.

Anytime there are cumuliform clouds about there are thermal currents there, and you can expect more bumpiness. Fair weather Cu are the fluffy ones that are around most afternoons inland, unless it is a very low RH. (relative humidity) Nev

Guest Howard Hughes
Anytime there are cumuliform clouds about there are thermal currents there, and you can expect more bumpiness. Fair weather Cu are the fluffy ones that are around most afternoons inland, unless it is a very low RH. (relative humidity) Nev

Clouds can be a good indicator of flying conditions, in general flatter clouds will indicate smooth flying conditions and rounder clouds will indicate more turbulent conditions. Clouds can also be a good indicator of severe flying conditions, for example lenticular clouds may indicate 'mountan waves' and 'mammatus' will indicate severe turbulence associated with thunderstorms and are often seen with approaching fronts.

My recommendation (like others) is take advantage of the extra daylight and get out in the early mornings!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Clouds can be a good indicator of flying conditions, in general flatter clouds will indicate smooth flying conditions and rounder clouds will indicate more turbulent conditions. Clouds can also be a good indicator of severe flying conditions, for example lenticular clouds may indicate 'mountan waves' and 'mammatus' will indicate severe turbulence associated with thunderstorms and are often seen with approaching fronts.My recommendation (like others) is take advantage of the extra daylight and get out in the early mornings!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I always go out flying at first light,5.23 am Queensland time,when there is zero wind,usually there is no fog,but last week was so foggy,I had to cancel it,very frustrating,.This thursday will be another windless morning.My question is,do you think I should leave it say 1hr after first light and hope the fog will lift,or should i wait another day when the

winds are a little higher so the fog will not be around?Thanks for your usefull imfo about the clouds earlier,another good one.:thank you:Cheers

so on these hot days we're talking about do you find its bumpy all the way up to the ceiling? Or closer to the ground, say 1000 feet?

Early morning is always the best to fly especially when the temp starts to warm up. As the ground warms the turbulence gets nasty, and can sometimes go upto 10,000 feet

When the temp cools down closer to the end of the day, say 5pm onwards it is actually quite pleasant to fly at all levels as the heat is taken out of the ground and cools off.

Flying above the inversion layer is always good. Less turbulence there, and it is silky smooth.

-Linda

Early morning is always the best to fly especially when the temp starts to warm up. As the ground warms the turbulence gets nasty, and can sometimes go upto 10,000 feetWhen the temp cools down closer to the end of the day, say 5pm onwards it is actually quite pleasant to fly at all levels as the heat is taken out of the ground and cools off.

Flying above the inversion layer is always good. Less turbulence there, and it is silky smooth.

-Linda

Yep got that one earlier linda from Fact hunter.Thanks all the same.

Clouds can be a good indicator of flying conditions, in general flatter clouds will indicate smooth flying conditions and rounder clouds will indicate more turbulent conditions. Clouds can also be a good indicator of severe flying conditions, for example lenticular clouds.....

Thanks for that little tip. I've been trying to memorise all the various cloud names and relate them to the correct shapes but have a way to go yet. Yeah, I never did kindergarten... 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif shapes / names - should be real simple.

The really bad ones are active Cu's or CB's. They are cauliflower shaped and get a flat top (called anvil cirrus) in the latter stages of their development, which can chuck hail at you out of a clear sky. There are such large updraughts in and near these that you should stay miles away from them. If cold fronts are forecast you can have a long line of Cu's and rain and squally weather associated with the front. These are why you need a good forecast and understanding of frontal phenomenon.

Regarding fogs lifting. Local knowledge plays a big part with this. Often fogs are at their worst just as the sun rises and some mixing of the air starts to happen, but they usually form during the night when cold air falls off the hills and ends up in shallow valleys where there is little wind. You can also get them rapidly forming near the coast in conditions of high humidity when the temp drops slightly. This can happen any time, and some places are more known for it than others. The general cause of a fog lifting is the raising of the airmass temperature by warmer winds or sun activity (which is harder to predict as to it's effectiveness). I wouldn't punt on a fog lifting at a certain time without having a ( qualified) observer's report, that it was actually happening, and a good reason to believe that it would keep improving Nev

Off Sydney Heads during a Sydney to Hobart race I encountered Roll Cloud coming off the coast. It looked like a big black wave coming at us. In front of this cloud the wind hit 50+ knots. Then the lightening started. Bad enough on a boat but deadly if you where in the air.