HD camera recomendation

furio

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've received my camera (LIC Ego) and have taken a video with it attached to my plane. Resolution is 720P at 60FPS (though I think Youtube does something to videos 'cause it looks better on my computer).

27 minutes of starting, 3 circuits and a shutdown. Very happy with it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTdGj-en6w

Well I've received my camera (LIC Ego) and have taken a video with it attached to my plane. Resolution is 720P at 60FPS (though I think Youtube does something to videos 'cause it looks better on my computer).27 minutes of starting, 3 circuits and a shutdown. Very happy with it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTdGj-en6w

Pretty good result for the money. I have just purchased an HD car camera on the Bay. Just fitted it in the Jab behind our heads so you can see the dash as well. Have not flown with it as yet, but have done a taxi test and it seems pretty good. Cost around $70... I do like th GoPro but it costs a lot more. I was worried that after taking a few video's it would just be a novelty and not get used. That's what happened to the camera system I had on my trike. I do like what you have purchased, nice and small. I will post a video soon of the one I purchased next time I fly.

Good stuff

Mardy

I reckon we'll get another and take footage inside and out at the same time and stitch it together later. The only downsides to this camera are there is no external audio in and you can't get it to flip the video while it records of you happen to hang it upside down as we did, has to be done later on the pc.

The biggest upside is that it has wireless built in as standard and there is an app that you can use to control the camera wirelessly and it is really small compared to the hero cams.

Guest Maj Millard

I'm currently playing around with small cameras used on reversing camera set-ups, designed for vehicals. They display on a mirror-shaped LCD screen that clips on your rear vision mirror. The down side is they have small colored reversing lines built in to the camera while you are reversing. I am not planning to use the mirror -type screen but have purchased a Signet brand small LCD monitor with DVD recorder. You can turn the camera on and off, and it has 2gb inbuilt and takes a 4gb card.

The LCD monitor costs around $100 from Jaycar, but you can pick up the small cameras from Ebay for as little as $15 each. I have now found one that is designed for foward or side views, and comes without the reversing lines. So I will be ordering a couple of those.

I am also building a small control box for mounting in the aircraft, that will have the LCD monitor mounted on it. It will simply take 12v dc from a panel power socket. It will have the capability to select and activate one of three cameras, which will be mounted at different spots on the airframe. (The small cameras need 12v to work) The RCA leads from each camera will plug into the box individually. Once the selected camera is switched on, the LCD monitor is operated normally to record for up to four hours.

The picture on these small cameras is pretty good , but I don't know yet how they will handle prop rotation. So far my cost is well under $200, with the option to mount permanatly up to three cameras on the aircraft. I'll keep you posted as the project proceeds.......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Nflightcam + is the one I have and I am super impressed with it. You can set it up for different frame rates and quality of course. I have the switch setup for 1080 and 720 so can pic either. I have a few videos I have done with it so far it also basically removes the prop has GPS built in and you can see your track in realtime with the video it also has external dc use and full aircraft headset audio or external mic if you wish. It also has bluetooth to your iphone so you can setup what you see and also the lens rotates 270 deg so you can mount it anyway you like

Kyle, I would have to agree with you that Nflightcam is the go particularly the backup you receive fom the company, if needed, that is advice etc on the use of it.

The quality is great and on the Lambarda, Jab motor at 2250 revs economical cruise 95knts , you don't even see the prop basically at all not even a little blur if the light is at the right angle.

It is a Contour but tricked up for aviation use.

Regards

Rick-p

Guest Maj Millard

Yes but still big bucks...the remote alone cost over $100............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I just ordered on of these to try on my trike. I like that it has a front and rear facing camera and GPS is another feature I wanted. It's a car Dash camera! An relatively cheap!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, the Ego failed me too many times! I think it doesn't like the heat when in direct sunlight - hard to avoid in a bubble-canopied-low-wing!

I went a purchased a Contour Roam 2. Took it out for a burl yesterday. It was hot when I took it down, but it didn't skip a beat!

The Ego might still come in handy as a second camera. Just a pity, really!

Yeah that is a pity. Mine hasn't failed me yet and I've used it in hot conditions as well. Might just be a one off. Are you aware there is a new app for the ego? Adds lots of new functionality.

I just purchased a Drift HD Ghost on ebay from the US (still in transit) and a few suitable camera mounts, audio patch cable etc from Camzilla in NSW (very good to deal with). I did a fair bit of research and it was a contest between Go Pro, Drift, Nflightcam and contour (seems to be the same as Nflightcam). The GoPro would appear to have the best pic quality, but the others are still pretty good, good enough for my means.

Overall, for me, the Drift Ghost has the best package of features ie water proof to 3 M, or in my case shower proof if mounted on the aircraft externally, as it is out of the box and no need for a waterproof case, remote controlled, 2" LCD screen to easily see what you are framing up, 5 minute loop and tag feature, the longest battery life of all of them, can be mounted at any angle with the rotating lens.

I plan to mount mine on the top of my vert fin for starters, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Thirsty! I liked your vid too. Great viewpoint. Is it stuck to the top of the fuel tank?

My Ego would start recording, I'd confirm it, only to shut down or lock up some time before I'd taxi to the threshold! Missing out on video of my Port Fairy approach/takeoff was the final straw. Also, the format the Contour outputs seems to be more efficient and my poor old laptop can cope with Hi-def editing. Not so with the Ego. 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif

Yeah, the Chinese students can be challenging to understand at times, but you get used to what they're saying. A handful that have gone through the academy have had textbook radio technique! Others... not so much. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Duck: the Drift looks nice, but for less than $300 the Contour does what I need. Some extra features would always be nice, though!