New Covering

Looks pretty similar to Solartex ( modelling product ) which has been around for a long time. Solartex is very easy to use but does require a coat of paint to seal the weave.

I would imagine that a fair portion of the weight saving with this new product is that does not require painting.

Pete, the Oracover film for models is sold in Australia as Profilm. It is imported by a company called Model Engines, I don't know if they would be interested in supplying the product for full size use or if they would even be able to get it.

It does look good. However, I don't think that it would be economically viable for someone to become a supplier as out market is too small, and the competition from Ceconite and Poly-Fiber, the traditional coverings, might beat it. The current importers of covering material are pretty well tied up to US manufacturers.

OME

Hi Guys,

I used the Oratex UL600 to cover my Goat ultralight sailplane.

I haven't covered an aircraft before (not counting the models I did 40 years ago) and found the process to be relatively straight forward.

Advantages for a novice is that the weight is controlled due to the pre sealed, coloured and UV treated fabric.

I dealt directly with the company in Germany with no problems except the price of freight to Oz.

The Goat is the yellow aircraft appearing at about 1:20min into the following video.

cheers Alan

• Like 2

Depends on what you are comparing.

Cost wise it was probably 60 - 80 % more expensive to go with the Oratex (I never actually got a quote for other systems after researching the processes of each). It's probably less now the exchange rate with the Euro is more favourable.

Initially I ordered enough supplies to do the tailfeathers and tailboom to see how the system would work and then followed up with a second order to complete the wings, so I was up for double freight costs.

The Goat had a target empty weight to be less than 70kg to keep it's status as a hang glider so more important than cost was the controlled finish weight of the Oratex.

I wasn't confident, being a newbie to covering, that I would be able to control the weight of a Polyfiber type sytem with all the coatings to be applied.

Also the Oratex adhesive is water based and virtually odourless so it is reasonably friendly to work with and wouldn't annoy any of my neighboors.

Another advantage is the quick repair time. Not something one usually needs with aircraft, but we have a particularily nasty wedgie that has taken a dislike to anything airborne in it's terrritory.

See the attched video.

The resultant rips from the talons were repaired with the Oratex in less than an hour at the airfield.

Hope this helps.

cheers Alan

• Like 1