F111 static display

av8vfr

http://australianaviation.com.au/2012/10/six-f-111s-find-their-final-home/

Most know that all F111s have been de-commissioned. So how is it that after 37 years in QLD that we get one display in YCDR yet NSW get 3 displays? I understand YAMB gets one but hardly public access. Or are they going to park it next to the Canberra at the front gate?

Most of us Techs found working on the 111 was a pig, but we still had a soft spot for her....

Some of my pics:

f1110003A.jpg.1e818f1c79f67594151e3236868a9b3f.jpg

Cheers

f1110001A.jpg.c6d4beea6bccefcfce7ceca21cfd69f0.jpg

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Apparantly one is going to the Aviation Museum at Port Adelaide as well. I might just ask that instead it be sent to my house :)

Me Feb 90 till April 98.482 Sqn (R3, R4) , 501 Wing R3, R4, Wing bay service, Reseal deseal,501 Hydraulics, 501 Undercarraige work shop. 501 Pavetack. 1 Sqn for about 5 minutes as I left to play on Tonka Tornados.

I liked to move around as I got bored working at the same place. Longest place I worked was probably Pavetack just over 2 years. (the only aircraft tech to ever work at 501 Wing Avionics 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif) Luckily shortest was Reseal deseal.That was only a fill in for about 6 weeks.

Guest Andys@coffs

1st yr I arrived after training I had no leave and had to work christmas...They wanted me to get into a tank with the hydralaser and dig out goup....I took one look at where they wanted me to fit,what they wanted me to use, visibility constraints for someone with glasses and felt an overwhelming confined spaces problem coming on......they found other nugetory work for me......but I wasnt inside an F111 tank a place I dtermined back then to be avoided at all costs.

Guest Andys@coffs

Ummm if its suburbia you live in then you'd best hope your neighbours both side share your passion cause you'll need their front yards as well I suspect...23m long and 19m wingspan when the wings were swept fully forward.

Unless you have some reasonably tough dirt you'll need to think about what is going to happen over time as the 22,000kg weight comes into play.....good thing it isnt fully loaded, just shy of 45,000kgs then. So about the weight of an average filled up suburban inground pool (empty aircraft) but that is applied to about 90cm^2 surface area.......

To put all that in context, a 737-800 is 39m long with a 34m wingspan and weighs 41,000kg's empty

And here ends todays historical trivia......

Ummm if its suburbia you live in then you'd best hope your neighbours both side share your passion cause you'll need their front yards as well I suspect...23m long and 19m wingspan when the wings were swept fully forward.Unless you have some reasonably tough dirt you'll need to think about what is going to happen over time as the 22,000kg weight comes into play.....good thing it isnt fully loaded, just shy of 45,000kgs then. So about the weight of an average filled up suburban inground pool (empty aircraft) but that is applied to about 90cm^2 surface area.......

To put all that in context, a 737-800 is 39m long with a 34m wingspan and weighs 41,000kg's empty

And here ends todays historical trivia......

All good-5+ acres on a ridge of Sydney sandstone!!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Guest aussieaviatrix

I have to confess that getting to sit in the cockpit and crawl inside the air intake would have to be one of the highlights of my time in Cadets.... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Probably doesn't sound that thrilling for those of you who worked on them, but it made my sister and me so excited! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I was at RAAF Williamtown in 2010 for the last dump and burn (so we were told); it was awesome, and we were all so sad when they were taken out of service.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2012/10/six-f-111s-find-their-final-home/Most know that all F111s have been de-commissioned. So how is it that after 37 years in QLD that we get one display in YCDR yet NSW get 3 displays? I understand YAMB gets one but hardly public access. Or are they going to park it next to the Canberra at the front gate?

Most of us Techs found working on the 111 was a pig, but we still had a soft spot for her....

Some of my pics:

[ATTACH=full]19356[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19357[/ATTACH]

Cheers

Also Worked with and around the pigs 72-00.

Evans Head is almost in Queensland! Or it would have been if they had drawn the boundary correctly all those years ago. I am extremly happy that we were able to get one in my back yard. Evans Head was a very worthy receipient given that the residents lived with the Evans Head Bombing Range within earshot and all the residents of Evans Head put up with the sound of "peace" over a number of years, often well into the night without too many complaints.

Let me tell you it was a shitload of paperwork and bureaucratic hoop jumping, as well as a lot of hard work by a bunch of dedicated folks involved with the Evans Head Memorial Aerodrome that secured one of the aircraft for Evans Head.

• Like 2