Batteries

Yenn

I shall have to replace the Odyssey battery in my Jabiru engined Corby Starlet.

The Odyssey didn't impress me as it suffered with bad cranking power in winter, which is down to about 10 deg absolute minimum, but removing the steel case improved it out of site.

I am told that Jab owners in the South don't use Odyssey and would like to know what is being used.

Guest brentc

I was having trouble starting my 6 cylinder but found that turning it over a dozen times by hand prior was usually enough to free it up and get it running pretty much straight away. I also found that my choke wasn't pulling on fully at one stage and also my plug gap was a little small which added to some bad starting experiences. I now run a gap of 20 and 24 on my plugs so I get good starting and good altitude performance combined. Poor starting can usually be plug gap related. Also if you have an older starter (the black one) you might find you have trouble. There is an upgrade available if you have one of these.

Guest classic

I have used Odyssey batteries in two aircraft (both Rotax 2-strokes) and found they worked so well that I bought one for the ride-on mower. The mower suffers most, from intermittent use, lack of maintenance and abuse by tenants, but the battery has worked well for 4 years.

The Odyssey is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery, and although they will tolerate very high rates of charge and discharge without damage, they do not like being charged at voltages above about 13.8. Typical alternators charge at around 14.2-14.7. If this is the case with your aircraft, then it will seriously reduce battery life.

A google search for 'charging AGM batteries' will give some interesting information.

I'm not sure if you have to use a particular battery but if not, it may pay to have a look at optima batteries. They seem to have better capacity (AH) than most other batteries and also have excellent CCA rating (some as high as 720 @ O degrees C. They can be charged by an alternator that runs up to about 15V and they generally weigh a little less than an equivalent wet lead acid or gel cell. Only problem is ... $$$$$$.

Anyway, if you're interested , have a look at them.

Bob

Guest danda

As I have told this forum many times my wife is in a wheelchair and the battres in those are very powerful gell cell with high crank hours and the price isn't any near that of the others just a thought.

Don

Guest danda

The ones we have in at the moment are, Haze part number hzb12-33

it says that it has 33ah we got these from battery world cost around $170 if that's of some help.

Don

As I need a new battery before the long week end I have looked around, and ended up sticking with the same Odyssey type. On the net I could get it for $253, but the freight put it back up to within $2 of local price and I got a $10 discount from the local Battery World agent, so I should be set up for another 5 years. Thanks for your advice.