Corvus Aero & UL engines

dazza 38

Howdy, I was just drooling ove the Corvus fusion on the web.In the news section, they stated that they are no longer going to use the UL engine.They are only going to use the Rotax 912.They will be testing the Lycoming & Continental & 912IS after winter 2012(I assume they mean northern winter). I wonder why, or can anybody shed some light on the subject ?

Could be for CG or cowling reasons - possibly availability? We're talking about the UL Power direct drive aircooled job here right?

I'd struggle to see any other reasons than that as from all accounts (if its the engine I'm thinking of) its a good engine.

- boingk

Could be for CG or cowling reasons - possibly availability? We're talking about the UL Power direct drive aircooled job here right?I'd struggle to see any other reasons than that as from all accounts (if its the engine I'm thinking of) its a good engine.

- boingk

Yep, thats the one.

From the web site......

After long testings and discussions Corvus has made a decision to revise engine selection for the Fusion.

In the future the Fusion will be available only with Rotax 912ULS and 912 S engines. Also we will do tests with Rotax iS and Lycoming, Continental engines for our LSA category planes, however this will be only after winter 2012.

Corvus finished cooperation with UL Power officially and we do not offer those engines.

UL Power, the belgian engine manufacturer did not took our goals seriously and provided zero support for the development. The engine's performance and lack of communication and also the faith in UL Power engines sink to a minimum level.

A couple of problems, technical issues, lack of good props, lack of the option for hydraulic constant speed prop makes the UL Power less interesting than any other engine.