VH-reg vs. RA-reg? Differences? Maintenance?

AM397

The latest I have on maintenance, which came from CASA today is that if you have built an experimental plane, then at some stage buy a similar plane, you will be allowed to maintain that similar plane. The similarity they quoted was building an RV4 and you could then maintain an RV8.

That's interesting. If so it would be a departure from what I've previously understood, which is if you are not the builder, you can't sign off the annuals. Did CASA give you that in writing?

rgmwa

Update: When I got home tonight there was an email from CASA with a draft copy of CAAP 42ZC-2(o) issued for comment which confirms what you said. It would be a welcome step forward if it was adopted.

rgmwa

Like to do maintenance? Go RAA, get your 'Level Two' certificate and then pretty much maintain the aircraft yourself. Tyres, pads, oil, filters, plugs - you name it almost.

I started out with a view to get my commercial license and eventually Air Transport license with a commercial carrier. I stopped that some months ago as it became clear it was an unrealistic view, or perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I was seeing people who were hating their jobs and getting paid peanuts, brown-nosing the bosses and corporate structures just so they could get ahead. Doesn't sound like much of a dream to me.

I converted to RAA and bought an airplane and love it... but cannot really afford it currently so am doing a tactical reassessment of my needs; I'm downgrading. Love the plane, can't really justify the cost.

I would recommend doing your RAA license (you can convert to PPL later if you want) and seeing how you like it. For a budget of $25,000 (Australian Dollars) you can easily get fully RAA trained and buy a nice craft of your own to fly in. There are many good, well performing craft in the $15,000 to $20,000 range.

Just how I'd go about it, were I to start again from scratch.

Cheers - boingk

Brown-nosing definately rules me out as a contender. I lost count of the number of jobs I quit or got sacked from because I didn't brown-nose and told the boss to suck it when he or she was being unreasonable or outright psychopathic.

I actually like the idea of first taking the RAA and the Level two certificate for maintenance and then move to a PPL later on.

• Like 1

Its not to say that you'd have to brown-nose your instructor or anything, but I've certainly seen it in the commercial world of aviation.

Definitely try RAA before going PPL. You might find its all you need.

Check out the classifieds page for craft up for sale - for $20,000 or so you can pick something up that seats two and cruises at 80 to 100kts. Sure beats an athsmatic Cessna 150 and for about half the price.

Cheers - boingk

Main difference there is that you still have to be retrained in flight, 2-axis for HGFA vs 3-axis for RAA/PPL

Not knocking microlights, but RAA is a lot more similar to PPL than HGFA is to RAA in my opinion.

- boingk

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding that 2-axis = HGFA and RAA =3-axis !

FYI the vast majority of weightshift controlled aircraft are on the RAAus register and flown by pilots with RAAus pilot certificates

Cheers

John

I was hoping to be able to build my own hangar. Either as a "shed" if the land I buy is big enough to land on, or perhaps I could buy a small piece of land next to a "proper" airstrip to build a hangar on. It will probably be the latter, since I need fast internet to be able to work, and I therefore need to build the house in a somewhat "civilised" area (I'm thinking of the rollout of NBN). If I don't have a fast internet, I'll have trouble up- and downloading video for editing. If I have to make a guess, I'd say that about 40 percent of my income is video editing.

I haven't thought of microlights at all. Yes, they look like fun, but I think I prefer something a bit more sheltered than the typical microlight I have seen.

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding that 2-axis = HGFA and RAA =3-axis !FYI the vast majority of weightshift controlled aircraft are on the RAAus register and flown by pilots with RAAus pilot certificate.

Duly noted and understood prior.

My comment was solely aimed at the licenses themselves.

Cheers - boingk