forward slipped in

Guest floatHigh

The CASA Day VFR Syllabus does not differentiate between forward or side slips.

There is a difference - as correctly given in post #4 by Floathigh.

Slipping is part of both the PPL and CPL syllabus - under advanced manoeuvres - p45, and p75.

An ability to competently slip the aircraft will certainly ensure your crosswing landings are executed with minimum undercarriage stress. It will ensure that you can make steeper approaches over high obstacles. It will certainly save the day when your flaps can't be extended due electrics unservicabilities.

Points of arguement include whether they can be executed with flaps extended fully, or what is the effect on fuel feed from your tanks. Your POH should indicate that.

happy days,

Guest floatHigh

Addendum: I received my CASA medical clearance, so I will probably do a a bit of parallel GA PPL training while I CAN! :)

(Booked into the PPL theory class at Mid Murray Flying club with Graham & Jenny)

Guest floatHigh

..forgot to mention I enjoyed reading and learning about the slipping subject from other contributors here.

Something I noticed about the lighter (& draggier) LSA plane, after the slightly heavier and slippery (plastic) Diamond D20-C1,

was that with less inertia the sideslip is a lot harder to perfect in gusty crosswinds! :confused:

In the future, I hope to build a Zenith kit, a CH701 or CH601?

Guest b1rd

Sorry guys I'm still a bit confused about the different "slipping" methods and whether they're used for cross-wind, tail-wind or no-wind or bleeding height quickly or a combination of the above :confused:. I expect it will come to me when I actually practice these manouvers.

Anyway a question .... if you wanted to, for instance, crap forward with longitudinal attitude to the right with wings level and in a no-wind situation, is this done by ....

co-ordinating right stick and left rudder or left stick and right rudder ?

A question .... if you wanted to, for instance, crap forward with longitudinal attitude to the right with wings level and in a no-wind situation, is this done by ....co-ordinating right stick and left rudder or left stick and right rudder ?

Hi b1rd,

I have no idea how one craps forward (sounds revolting :yuk:) but if I apply left stick and right rudder I get what I know as a "side slip" to the left. That is, the aircraft continues along the same track (eg aligned with the runway) with left wing low and tail off to the left and with me pretty much looking out the pilot side window (sort of) along my track.

Get the drift?

Paul

Guest b1rd

Blimey ! Sorry guys yep I meant crab. A fraudian slip rather than a side slip perhaps ! Thanks for the explanation Paul. Makes sense. I was confusing myself a bit I think with left/right stick rolling and then yawing in that direction but it's countered by opposite rudder. I get the drift lol.

So essentially the rudder guides the longitudinal axis direction while the left/right stick governs the wing angle. Just hope I'm not getting too anal here .... right that's enough .... no more silly puns ... time to go home I think !

Guest floatHigh

Yesterday bad weather here with rain. Eventually it eased for a few minutes and I was the first guy to go up but in conditions not suitable for solo.

So the CFI co-piloted me :confused: , for safety and to check me out for amongst other things, crosswinds.

Due to mud and sod, the only runway serviceable was the sealed 21/03.

With low cloud base and drizzle, we did right hand 400-500 foot circuits (RH to stay away from hills due to poor viz.) We also had a proper 90 degree crosswind.

Well I am pleased to say the instructor (a very good one) got me to do forward slips! 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif

You know, those that feel that all is not well at the seat, left wing very down into wind, and I reckon the right rudder pedal was hard against the stop. The aircraft in complete alignment with the runway, both tracking and in alignment until round-out on one wheel.

Think I am finally OK with forward slip, compared to the much easier crab/relaxed side-slip combo.

Slips.

Seems like it is all coming together. I have a bit of difficulty with the terminology of forward slips, because it, ( to my way of thinking ) does not really communicate clearly the image of what is happening, so it's just another area of confusion, & we have too many of those in aviation. The subject seems to have been covered pretty comprehensively in this thread. Your last lesson seems to be the sort of experience that will help you perform the right technique from now on, & get out of the aeroplane,what it is capable of. Good work ( I think you might have a good instructor ) N...

Yesterday bad weather here with rain. Eventually it eased for a few minutes and I was the first guy to go up but in conditions not suitable for solo.So the CFI co-piloted me :confused: , for safety and to check me out for amongst other things, crosswinds.

Due to mud and sod, the only runway serviceable was the sealed 21/03.

With low cloud base and drizzle, we did right hand 400-500 foot circuits (RH to stay away from hills due to poor viz.) We also had a proper 90 degree crosswind.

Well I am pleased to say the instructor (a very good one) got me to do forward slips! 071_yawn.gif.43c7f5f86675fec124ffe33bd2e896f0.gif

You know, those that feel that all is not well at the seat, left wing very down into wind, and I reckon the right rudder pedal was hard against the stop. The aircraft in complete alignment with the runway, both tracking and in alignment until round-out on one wheel.

Think I am finally OK with forward slip, compared to the much easier crab/relaxed side-slip combo.

Good job FH ! Must feel weird landing on one wheel at a lateral angle ! And then lowering the other. But then again the crab approach sounds pretty damn tricky when aligning the wheels at the last moment with some deft but firm ..... always firm .... uncrossing of controls ... cripes !

My God I thought a forward slip was when you fall head first down the stairs at the local flying club because you have been flying the club bar, due to inclement weather, for about 6hrs prior to the execution of the forward slip.

Rick-p