Reading on the VSI constantly too high

I've got a bit of an unusual problem - my VSI on an Airborne XT 582 is showing value about 200 fpm higher than it should.

So in on the ground or in level flight it will show a 200 fpm climb, if I climb or descend the value changes (so the instrument works) but always stays too high.

I've checked with Airborne and they say they've never heard about a problem like this.

I've sent an email to Amptronics (the Skydat GX2 manufacturer), but wanted to check if anyone in here has seen anything like this before.

Guest Maj Millard

Is it an anolog VSI ?...if so the guage has a zeroing screw somewhere by the dial, with which you can zero the guage needle on the ground. Alternatly the guage could be faulty or it may not be plumbed correctly at the rear of the guage. Statically it should share the same static line as the ASI and altimeter (general rule, your instalation could be different)...If the guage is electronic there will be a zero function available, read the instruction book............................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

It's one of these:

With a slightly different layout (set for a 2 stroke motor rather that 4 stroke) (so it's digital and all in one box device)

Unfortunately their manual is just as bad as their website (http://users.iafrica.com/a/am/amptro/) and all it contains is just how to plug it in.

Airborne has some basic troubleshooting list for this as well, but no VSI problems.

Guest Maj Millard

The window visable on the VSI reads 0010. That would indicate that there would be a zeroing mechanism for the VSI. I'd be talking directly to the manufacturer and letting him know that his manual (and website )is substandard, and that his fancy electronic box isn't accurate. Personally I'm a steam-guage man, and have had few, if any problems with them...............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Here's what I got out of the manufacturer:

There is a potmeter inside the GX2 for VSI adjustments. To get to the potmeter you will need to remove the four screws at the back of the GX2 and separate the back panel from the face plate. Once open you will notice a row of five blue potmeters on the circuit board. The potmeter closest to the corner adjusts the VSI. If the VSI is showing descending when on the ground you will need to turn that potmeter anti-clockwise. Every full turn of the potmeter will make a 20 ft correction.

When you turn the VSI potmeter anti-clockwise you will see the VSI needle go the maximum descend position, this is normal just wait for the needle to settle again before doing more touch ups.

Also make sure the static port is not blocked as this could affect your VSI reading.

I'll try this next weekend, and report back any results.

I had a problem with my SkyDat, moisture got in electrical control box and resulted in the engine hour reading altering. After emails to Airborne then the manufacturer the only way to reset the hour metre was by sending the unit to South Africa to be done in their factory. An unsatisfactory result as far as I am concerned so I opted to enter relevant particulars in aircraft log book with new and old hour readings so correct history is recorded.

Crusty

Hi Zibi, could you give the contact details of the manufacturer as i have that system in my Terrier and I have erratic tacho readings so I'd like to ask them .

cheers

JimG

Hi Zibi, could you give the contact details of the manufacturer as i have that system in my Terrier and I have erratic tacho readings so I'd like to ask them .cheers

JimG

I've listed their website (http://users.iafrica.com/a/am/amptro/) in my previous post (just don't get scared when you see that webpage, that is their official).

Their email ([email protected]) is listed at the bottom of that page.

Airborne also has some troubleshooting manual on their website: http://www.airborne.com.au/images/pdf/GX2%20Trouble%20shooting.pdf

• 3 years later...

I have a GX2.. worked perfectly when Koala was stored.

A/C was pilfered and wires were cut .

Now I cannot light her up.

Does anyone have the numbers in SA for Seger or Phillipe (manufacturers) of Skydat?

or who does repairs/service in South africa for Skydat?