A new Sierra 100 takes to the sky

Runway

................ and successfully lands back on the ground too!

Our Sierra, which we have been working on for around two years, finally took to the sky today. We were going to test fly it ourselves, but after our main instructor at Moruya offered to do it, we decided that wasn't such a bad idea. After some high speed taxi trials, a few lift-off, fly 100 metres and land, a slight adjustment to the stabilator, he did one quick circuit.

The only problem was the stick had limited right travel because it was hitting his leg. Otherwise, he said it felt great to fly. We will rectify the stick, and off we go again. This may not be until after xmas however. We have been plagued by a series of delays on this project for several months now (eg, Jab had an engine recall on a batch of engines), 2046054320_Cockpit1.JPG.e1d54f8f70038610e46d9257df5af8ac.JPG so a little more time won't matter.

Here are a couple of photos. We still plan to add some sort of red stripe/s to the side of the fuselage and tail. At the moment with just the red winglets, it looks a a bit like a certain airline fleet, and we briefly considered painting a upturned road kill wombat on the tail just to set it apart.

Jeff

Side.JPG.246ae63c7c35c04ed76f96cae39f8b5d.JPG

Front.JPG.a9568d080bde5b6a18b52b8942f1b997.JPG

• Like 5

Hey Mardy where did you get those covers? Can I fit them to a 24 ?

Hi John. A very helpful guy in the UK. here is the link to his website http://www.leggott.flyer.co.uk/extras.html

He also has some really great sun visors that are very well priced. I got them and like them. Hope to catch up over the holidays and have a look in your new hangar.

anyway sorry Jeoff. Sorry to get off post on you post...

Mardy

Congratulations Runway! You've obviously enjoyed the construction journey ... now enjoy the flying! My Sierra 100 project is coming along nicely but will still be a year or two before it takes to the air.

John.

Congratulations from me too. I hope to have mine in the air some time in 2013. I will be moving it out of my garage & into the hanger I've just bought at South Grafton Aerodrome early in the new year to install the engine, instruments etc.