The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.....

dlps73

Sunday morning dawned bright and clear - unlike myself who was still suffering from a head cold and had bugger all sleep that night.

At 8:30am Dave and I pulled the Plastic Parrot from her nest and got down to the serious business of pre-flighting. At 30am it was “Chocks Away!†and off we rolled on the first leg of our trip.

As this was the test for my cross country endorsement I was more than prepared with enough charts to wall paper a large hanger, pens and pencils galore and sufficient rulers to over throw a small nation.

The first leg was The Oaks to Mittagong, the problems began when we found it difficult to achieve 90KIAS – thankfully this was resolved half an hour later when we realised I had left the flaps on…..

In my defence I raise the fact that I had now become a negative yardstick by which all others could be measured.

Exhibit One

Picture taken by Dave of the countryside with the flaps still deployed.

As Dave’s primary task was to act as Official Photographer it was not encouraging when he would laugh and say:

“I’m just taking a picture of where we’re supposed to be.â€Â

Nevertheless I arrived overhead at Mittagong Airfield at roughly the time I was supposed to be there, within a day any rate – can’t get to fanatical about that sort of thing - and I had actually found it, my confidence was building again.

Mittagong Airfield

Mittagong to Crookwell was a doddle with the Wind Farm sticking out like up right poles in a flat landscape – which they were.

Wind Farm

Crookwell Airfield

Crookwell to Young – what’s that all about? Absolutely featureless, irrespective I held the calculated bearing and resolutely flew on. It was only when we finally flew round the mountain that obscured the city that I realised my track was a wee smidgin off. A quick bank and a few minutes later Young Airfield could be crossed off the Flight Plan. Three down, six to go.

Young Airfield

Our next leg, Young to Cowra, was relatively plane sailing (ßnote pun). Essentially just follow the road and railway – how hard is that?

We even did a pretend circuit, fortunately it was pretend as I misread the windsock and we were actually landing downwind…sigh.

Cowra to Orange was where it all became unravelled. I aligned the DG to the compass, turned the aircraft to the required bearing, noted a feature in the distance to align with and off we went. The first landmark I scanned for was a small town called Woodstock with Werribee Airfield to the North of it. These were supposed to be to the right of the aircraft – the GPS track indicates that we flew directly over them. I never actually saw either one. Obvious to everyone except me, I was being blown steadily off track. As the time arrived when I should be over Orange airfield I realised I was hopelessly lost. In desperation I noted a largish town to the right and turned towards it thinking “Orange!â€Â

The comments from Dave were as follows:

“Let’s see you have been steadily drifting to the right off course which would logically see you well to the right of the planned track yet now you’re lost you’re turning to the right – it appears your three years apprenticeship under the Village Idiot is finally bearing fruit!â€Â

As soon as I turned to the left I saw the reservoir that lies to the east of Orange and meekly headed towards it. To add insult to injury I turned the wrong way after overflying the airfield and we had to repeat the exercise – oh the humility….

Orange Airfield

We landed at Orange to refuel both the aircraft and ourselves and after consuming a couple of muesli bars and a fruit drink I was ready and raring to go. I had managed to forgive myself for the tracking error and attempting a right hand circuit – and let’s face it, my cunning ploy to enable Dave to feel superior was working beyond my wildest dreams.

With the Orange to Bathurst leg I actually felt I was cheating because you could practically see Bathurst as soon as you reached circuit height! Dave opined that we should really do another approach and pretend landing at Bathurst to ensure I had learnt from my mistake at Orange.

The simplicity of the navigational side allowed me to focus on my pattern entry which was tragic to say the least. I envisioned a variety of airfield entry points and the correct method to allow us to join the circuit safely.

Confidence renewed as I approached the airfield I checked the windsock, determined the direction for landing, repeated my mantra “I will not turn to the right.†Overflew the runway and promptly turned to the right.

The scream from Dave was high pitched enough to shatter glass. Suddenly I was consumed with jealousy for Kamikaze pilots – at least they didn’t have to come back and land.

I had absolutely no excuse – I had played the Idiot card at Orange which was my last trump. It slowly dawned on me that whilst I could land at Bankstown, one of the busiest airfields in Australia, I was total crap at any other if I had to think and plan.

I accepted the fact that I was not going to get through the test at this time, which was kind off sad but definitely expensive.

I was also quite taken aback as I had though I had covered all the necessary requirements only to realise that something so basic had brought me undone.

Katoomba Airfield

The rest of the trip was relatively straight forward; it’s hard to be depressed when given the magic of flying. Dave busied himself taking a series of photos of Warragamba dam whilst progressively tilting the camera making it look as if the Plastic Parrot was looping – fat chance.

From Glenbrook to The Oaks I was again blown off course but just turned right when the ETA was reached and subsequently located the airfield. At least I had learnt that lesson!

In summation, given the fact that I had managed to navigate nearly 700km from The Oaks and back with a map, compass, ruler, protractor and watch and screwed up just the once I actually felt pretty good about that part of the exercise.

One of my main fears had always been getting lost. When it eventuates, my normal flying will be with map, compass and watch with GPS as back-up.

Dave has demanded a mini navex focusing on airfield and circuit entry procedures before he will sign me off. I’ve also promised him we’ll do another navex using my aircraft as soon as it’s built and certified.

In conclusion I believe you can teach an old Doug new tricks……

GPS Track

Cheers.........Doug

Doug, Doug, Doug, Doug. What are you doing??? 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Letting the side down, me thinks. There are but two redeeming facts here. One, you are truly honest ;), and two, I haven't attempted my Xcountry yet, :;)1: and until I do, your record stands:big_grin:

Hang in there my friend, good things come to those who wait, or something like that

Regards Doug

That's a pretty good exercise, and as it is so long since I did that sort of thing I couldn't comment on your navigation. I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of GA pilots who don't know how to act in the circuit so at least you know when you are stuffing up.

Keep up the good work and you will be a safe and happy pilot.

Hey Doug, that's a hell of a navex, interesting track on the GPS...not used for in-flight navigation then? Must say I love having a look at the OziExplorer tracks when I get home from a flight, to check my track and get a real appreciation for where we'd been.

We're heading down to Melbourne tomorrow for a week and a bit...stand by for a few reports from us.

Cheers,

Matt.

Good onya Doug. Thanks for sharing your day with such candour. I admire your writing style ... light, interesting, humourous and spiced with the odd personalised cliche. You have a talent that may well lead you to writing aero novels or aviation documentary scripts, maybe one day you'll be writing training manuals that make for entertaining reading ;). Now there's a thought.

Looking fwd to your next episode.

Oh, and thank Dave for the pics too.

Paul

Guest pelorus32
Hey Doug, that's a hell of a navex, interesting track on the GPS...not used for in-flight navigation then? Must say I love having a look at the OziExplorer tracks when I get home from a flight, to check my track and get a real appreciation for where we'd been.We're heading down to Melbourne tomorrow for a week and a bit...stand by for a few reports from us.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt,

are you guys flying down or coming on an oil burner?

If you're flying it's be good to see the CT4:;)3:

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Taking the CT4 down for her first visit back to Point Cook. No plans to stop at Shepparton on the way down (stopping at Yarrawonga to get fitted for new covers/bungs etc.) but will keep it in mind for the trip home. Planning on returning home the Saturday/Sunday of Queens Birthday weekend. Let us know if you'll be around.

Cheers,

Matt

Great report,

You probably won't be thinking it now but your trip was probably the best thing that could have happened. I would say next time out you won't have any of the problems and will have learnt from this experiance!

Just think of the hours!

Adam

Guest pelorus32

Hi Matt,

I'm Melbourne based anyway - just fly from Shepp. If yu are going to be around Melbourne during the week, we could try and catch up. Will PM you.

Regards

Mike

Thank you all for your encouraging comments.

Chris - This appears to be the standard test around the Oaks.

Doug - Attemping to get my name changed by deedpoll.

Yenn - Hit it right on the nail - first and foremost safe - then happy.

Matt - Quite right - not allowed to use GPS whilst undergoing the test.

Paul - Thank you for your kind words and Dave was thanked also.

Adam - I did take away a lot of great learnings from that one exercise.

And now I can report with a huge grin that I passed the last bit on Saturday. The trip was The Oaks - Mittagong - Wollongong - Wedderburn - The Oaks.

We were primarily focussed on circuit pattern entry and they all went off without a hitch......I are now a proper pilot! :big_grin:

Cheers.........Doug

Hi Doug

I have been on that road in the foreground of the pic of the Crookwell wind farm as a passenger in a truck loaded with 14 tonnes of donated hay for the local sheep cockeys after the massive bush fires of a few years ago.

I can assure you that the surface there is definitely not flat especially where the roads are anyway. I gained a new respect for my truck driver cousin's driving ability after that trip further reinforced by a later trip to Batlow from Leeton for a load of bulk apples for the local juice factory.

Aeroplanes definitely flatten out the landscape.

Regards

That's amazing Ross - you could see the Wind Farm from miles away - it certainly gave the impression the land was flat.

And you highlighted a major concern I have. Height really does flatten the landscape which would scare me if I ever had an engine failure because Murphy's Law would dictate that what would look flat to me would be "alpine" by the time I was commited....

Cheers........Doug

Hi Doug

I taught a bit of basic levelling (using an automatic level) in short courses at one stage to irrigation farmers who should be very aware of sloping ground. I found that most people when they decided the ground was not flat were very surprised to find out how much rise or fall there actually was in the slope that they were looking at. I used to set up an automatic level with a level line of sight and ask them to guess where the line of sight would hit the ground. Most of them were out by at least 100% of the distance.

So applied to flying and using our "normal flying how to land experience" that turns into how steep does a slope have to be before you cannot safely land or take off uphill? How steep before you cannot land down the hill. Landing across the slope can have its problems with cross wind limits and dangers of wings hitting the ground or being obstructed by grass or crops.

People who use steep strips might comment. Even our "flat" strip at LEETON has about 20 feet of fall in it in a SW direction. Even that is significant in a high performance glider say with a glide angle of one in forty five or so which is 117 feet in a mile (5280 feet) or approximately1609 metres.

I heard years ago of a short landing strip in New Guinea used in the early days of gold mining there where you had to land on a cliff top uphill then a passenger had to get out and chock the wheels while the pilot held the brakes. When they took off downhill over the cliff the plane basically fell over the cliff until it picked up enough flying speed so that it could climb to clear the range of mountains at the end of the valley. I cannot verify the veracity of the flying landing part above but I can remember that New Guinea used to often be the subject of many early Australian Air Safety articles.

I did a Google Australia search for Ion Idress for some photos. That Australian author wrote stories of the early gold mining days in New Guinea before the second world war. There were some 90 odd glass plate photos listed of the mining days including New Guinea at something like $500 in a collection.

A lot of mining equipment was cut into smaller pieces with oxy torches then loaded into the Fokker planes and flown in and welded back together on site. New Guinea or part of it was a German protectorate amongst other descriptions until occupied by Australian troops in 1914 then occupied again by the Japanese in 1941. Apparently even some Queenslanders at one stage went up there and stuck a British flag in it!

Time for some experienced instructor comment!

Regards

Guest pelorus32

In terms of sloping strips this is an interesting video:

It is typical of very many topdressing strips in NZ - less slope than many of them.

I remember as a 13 year old kid going out with the local Fletcher pilot whilst he worked on strips like this. Many were steep enough that from your touchdown point you couldn't see the loader truck at the top of the strip.

The local pilot used to read cheap westerns as he flew. The only time he put the book down was as he flared for landing - he read as he spread and as he waited to be loaded - just putting it on his knee for the flare and for the takeoff roll until airborne. He'd read a cheap western a day! He was in his 40s and an otherwise careful pilot!!

Regards

Mike

Those hills at Crookwell may be steep but I would prefer them to what we have have in this area. 30m high eucalypts, a lot of them old dead stags which would be like hitting a concrete pole, plus with the ass having fallen out of the dairy industry and tax breaks there are a lot of eucalypt plantations where there used to be open paddocks.

Personally I practice forced landings often but hope to never have to do another one.

Ross - I used to have a mate that flew for the Missionaries and then Air New Guinea back in the seventies and some of the horror stories he used to tell me regarding the strips and natives were frightening!

I take the message from all of your input that there's a steep learning curve associated with identifying forced landing sites - thanks for the heads up.

Cheers........Doug

Hi Doug

I don't have that experience either except some gliding training outlanding and then of course the RAA training at Griffith under Ben Jones that included a few outlandings in paddocks he knew that were basically farmers airfields. I have only done about three real forced landings in gliders on non prepared airfields on paddocks that I had seen previously.

One was into a ploughed up loamy sand (which I knew about from above - I could see the farmer driving his tractor and plough around it as he ploughed it up!) paddock that gave me a landing run of about ten metres for a relatively slippery fibre glass glider that normally ran about one hundred metres or so with the brake on. It was like riding in a canoe with the main wheel just acting like a sea anchor. It probably would have resulted in ending up on my back if it were a triycle UC RAA plastic job!

However I am reminded of an incident at Leeton years ago when a new pilot with a new for him light plane landed at the home field of a local crop duster - I mean his home strip near his house where he landed and hangered his unloaded crop duster when he finished work - not at Brobenah the field the croppy flew his loaded plane from.

Well the croppy was most aggravated and pointed out the power to weight difference between the aircraft and the difficulty of the prevailing wind and the slope of the airfield, the shortness of the strip and the narrow slot between the 80 odd feet high gum trees on the only way in. Because of the slope and the rising terrain you had to take off normally down wind through the same slot you had just landed through.

Anyway the croppy spent some time describing the skill level of the would be suicide pilot together with the difference between the light plane and the crop duster and refused to let the owner pilot fly the plane out and told him that he would fly it out and to come and pick him up at Brobenah.

This very experienced croppy pilot just managed to get the plane airborne on the short strip and get it out to Brobenah.

The new owner had flown in with his young son on board.

Regards

The new owner had flown in with his young son on board

That's frightening Ross. There's no excuse for risking the life of a kiddie. It's a sobering thought though. He was probably under the impression that there was no problem at all - where do these muppets get there license from?

Guest pelorus32
That's frightening Ross. There's no excuse for risking the life of a kiddie. It's a sobering thought though. He was probably under the impression that there was no problem at all - where do these muppets get there license from?

The problem is that I reckon that most of us have got the capacity to turn into a "muppet" with just a transient brain outage. The evidence is there with the number of experienced pilots who have a problem of some sort.

If you put yourself in the shoes of the pilot above he probably just followed the other guy - figuratively. He reckoned well he can get that big heavy aircraft in there so I can get this smaller one in. Not bright but understandable.

I remember on an early cross country - 10 miles to run to Deniliquin from Echuca. Just as I called a Wagga Air Chieftain called - coming from the north. He then announced 5 mile final - for 24 from memory I assumed he had the ATIS so I simply joined downwind for 24 and followed him in. As I came over the fence it was obvious that there was about 5 knots of tailwind. I had the option of going around but I saw no need - long strip - and it was fine. My point is I followed him onto what seemed to be the "active".

Bottom line is that that "muppet" could easily be you or me one day. It's not that hard for the holes in the cheese to line up. As Reason says - constant anxiety is the price of safety.

Regards

Mike

You're quite right Mike - a silly comment. No excuse except limited tolerence due to driving in Sydney traffic everday and being deluged with moronic drivers.

I remember being on short finals once at Bankstown and realising I was lined up for the taxiway parallel to 29R! It was early morning with no traffic so that's my Muppet Moment. :confused:

Cheers......Doug