Technology leaving me behind

gooneybird

I wonder if something like this would fill the gap http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Digital-Yacht-WLN10HS-NMEA-to-WIFI-Adaptor-.html borrowed from our nautical brothers. I was keen to buy a GPS unit but have had several pilot owners of similar units advise me to save my money and buy an iPad with Oz runways, just dont want to cut off too many options.

Guest Andys@coffs

So if you have a autopilot that takes NMEA then a consideration is how often the nmea sentances are transmitted. Full panel garmins are from memory about 3 times avsecond, portable garmins once a second and others ??? At 120kts we cover a lot more distance than a yatchty will so for them once every 3 seconds might be heaps andbfor us might make the Autopilot seem quite jerky....

not saying it wil be so but worth absolutely to check....

Bob, to be clear the IPad used on the Natfly trip was 3G with cellular (not mine) and didn't have an external GPS. That's why I bought the Bad Elf for mine.

hi Bill

I use a Garmin GLO with my iPad and Ozrunways because it gives me faster attainment and greater accuracy. I have a 3G with GPS which lost signal a couple of times between Shepp and Scone last year, hence the purchase.

While the result has been excellent, I am a little disappointed in the construction of the unit. The on-off switch is flush with the rest of the casing and is easily activated inadvertently in pocket or handbag. I think I would be inclined to the Bad Elf for that reason.

just as an aside, I recently misplaced my iPad and couldn't find it anywhere. I used the Find my iPad app and it was extraordinarily accurate... In the car in the driveway hidden under the computer beneath the driver's seat. Very worthwhile...thieves beware

kaz

Kaz, tell me more I have the Ipad and ozrunways and want to know where to from here.At the start I thought of getting the garmin glo but you and others seem to go for the bad elf.Does the garmin glo have a gps useable or is it just an arial.the bad elf can be used as a gps can't it and the ozrunways gives you flight planning.