CASA class 2 medical - Sydney metro DAME prices

Hi all,

I'm a new pilot starting out and trying to find the money to pay for everything is difficult so trying to find the best deal wherever possible. There is not that much information on which DAMEs are good/affordable so I rang every DAME's office and got their prices for the no-frills medical (I think I got all of them, I did avoid the Shire though, it's a bit out of the way for me, there is no conspiracy!). Most said that additional tests which are clinically indicated like ECGs and bloods would be extra.

There is quite some variation in price so make sure you shop around.

I have compiled a list of the prices as quoted to me, current as of today. I make no guarantees to its accuracy and it is merely a guide published in good faith. You should still call the DAME's office to clarify the prices. Hopefully this will make your life easier if you need to get a medical in the future!

Not sure how to go about updating the list over time though, maybe someone has ideas?

p.s. I will be going for my medical at Sydney Aviation Medical centre in the city with Dr Bhatt. Her prices are very reasonable (price included the spirometry which I require as an asthmatic, some places wanted an extra $45). Have also heard good things about the doc on other forums.

Sydney DAMEs.docx

Sydney DAMEs.docx

Sydney DAMEs.docx

• Like 1

Great work there Paul

don't forget to buget for the Casa fee to process the paper work and print your medical, though it's a flat fee but still goes on top.

Drivers Licence Medical (DL Medical). $50 at my local GP and no CASA fee but only for one year. Download the forms from CASA, fill in the paper work, present yourself to your medico, if you are ok Fax/email the forms to CASA who register the fact that the medico says you are OK. Keep a copy of the medicos certificate with your PPL when you go flying, just like you do with a class 2.

augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

Drivers Licence Medical (DL Medical). $50 at my local GP and no CASA fee but only for one year. Download the forms from CASA, fill in the paper work, present yourself to your medico, if you are ok Fax/email the forms to CASA who register the fact that the medico says you are OK. Keep a copy of the medicos certificate with your PPL when you go flying, just like you do with a class 2.augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

So what's the implacations of having the DL medical instead of a class II? or is this DL medical the one that goes with the RPL?

Goodaye all

My first and second medical cost me $200 at the same medical centre my GP works at.

My instructer at the time advised me to find another centre as my full records are available to the DAME.

Anyway went there, passed my tests with the DAME pointing out that l might get a letter/review from CASA about using morphine in the last six months.

He noted on the report that l had both my hips replaced 6 months earlier and that was the reason.

The next day l acturley saw my surgon and said l was learning to fly, he was pleased and as long as l wasnt intending to jump out of the plane was happy with it all.

Never heard from CASA, but then again l have nothing to hide.

Little off topic, previus to having my hips done l would not been able to get into a aircraft, l couldnt walk 200m and was in constint pain.

For RPL all you need to pass the medical to drive your car, when it comes in.

regards Bruce

So what's the implacations of having the DL medical instead of a class II? or is this DL medical the one that goes with the RPL?

The new DL medical certificate restricts CASA licensed pilots (SPL, PPL, CPL, ATPL etc) to flying single piston engine aircraft weighing less than 1500 kg maximum take-off weight. Pilots must operate at less than 10,000 feet above sea level in visual metrological conditions, with only one informed and consenting passenger on board. If a control seat is occupied by an appropriately licensed pilot with a current class 1 or 2 medical certificate these restrictions do not apply. Pilots using the new medical will have access to controlled airspace, if qualified. Validity: under 65 - 2 years, over 65 - 1 year.

This will also be the medical for the RPL when it comes in.

?? Sounds like it is the RPL??

how do you mean also? If the DL medical is flying with the above restrictions then isn't that the same as the RPL?

So confused, is this DL medical just the medical required for the RPL or is it also for some other license?

?? Sounds like it is the RPL??how do you mean also? If the DL medical is flying with the above restrictions then isn't that the same as the RPL?

So confused, is this DL medical just the medical required for the RPL or is it also for some other license?

The RPL is not with us yet, and requires a change in legislation. The Drivers Licence (DL) Medical is by way of exemption and is with us now.

If you have a SPL, PPL, CPL, or ATPL, instead of holding a Class 1 or 2 medical you can get a DL medical and you can fly to the limits of the lesser of your licence rights or DL rights; practically single piston engine aircraft weighing less than 1500 kg maximum take-off weight. Pilots must operate at less than 10,000 feet above sea level in visual metrological conditions, with only one informed and consenting passenger on board. If a control seat is occupied by an appropriately licensed pilot with a current class 1 or 2 medical certificate these restrictions do not apply. Pilots using the DL medical will have access to controlled airspace, if qualified. Validity: under 65 - 2 years, over 65 - 1 year.

It will be interesting to see what form the RPL training and restrictions will be since the DL medical removed a lot of problems for those facing class 2 medicals with a range of health issues.

Well maybe they won't need to change the legislation to introduce the RPL, this exemption is the same thing and already available...

Well maybe they won't need to change the legislation to introduce the RPL, this exemption is the same thing and already available...

The DL Medical has been achieved by way of exemption.

My understanding is that the RPL is a licence and will be subject to changes to Part 61. The RPL has a different set of restrictions to the PPL and seems to be similar to the RAA basic certificate. see http://www.casa.gov.au/newrules/parts/061/download/casr61-draftregs.pdf or http://www.casa.gov.au/newrules/parts/061/download/casr61-briefing.pdf or http://www.casa.gov.au/newrules/parts/061/download/casr61-determ.pdf