SPOT

rdarby

I've done some reading this morning, inspired by the accident from Caboolture, as I reaslised that I don't feel comfortable finding and activating a PLB in an emergency situation. Engine out at 1500ft I doubt anyone will actually pick it up and remember how it works. There will be too much flying and stress going on.

That isn't what I want to discuss. I want to look at what can suplement (not replace) it.

SPOT is an option, and I have read but don't fully understand it. Does it need to be activated too, or does it quietly transmit where you are all the time?

And does it really not need any mobile phone coverage? Using a smart phone is useless as I fly, and in fact live, in a place where coverage is dodgy.

Ryan

Guest Andys@coffs
I've done some reading this morning, inspired by the accident from Caboolture, as I reaslised that I don't feel comfortable finding and activating a PLB in an emergency situation. Engine out at 1500ft I doubt anyone will actually pick it up and remember how it works. There will be too much flying and stress going on.That isn't what I want to discuss. I want to look at what can suplement (not replace) it.

SPOT is an option, and I have read but don't fully understand it. Does it need to be activated too, or does it quietly transmit where you are all the time?

And does it really not need any mobile phone coverage? Using a smart phone is useless as I fly, and in fact live, in a place where coverage is dodgy.

Ryan

Ryan

The user can turn the device on and off as they see fit so it doesnt do itys thing 24x7x365. You turn it on and its GPS gets a fix, that fix i sthen sent as an SMS message on a fixed time schedule (plus or minus a bit depending on channel availability etc) via Satelite phone (not 3G or 4G so much better coverage than those) to the USA company who then do fancy things with it and crate your own personal tracking webpage that shows where you were at what time for the trip taken.

The point is that its sending details regularly in advance of a problem and when the sh!t happens it will either stop because you impacted at 900G or it will be stationary. If you are able you can then press the OMG Button which causes the USA based company to contact AMSA and they in term kick of a SAR.

If you dont or cant hit the OMG button then its up to someone else to raise the alarm and then review the infor SPOT provides to work out where you are and take it from there.

There is a cost associated, its not like a PLB that you just buy outright, you buy the SPOT and then pay for 12 months of service and then renew ad infinitum (hopefully!)

With the service part the basic serevice just sends regular timestamped Lat/Long/Alt SMS's to a set of your defined mobile phones. The owners of those phones then have to plot each SMS on a map and do their own analysis if you go missing. For a few $ above the basic service the website URL is provided and that shows the individual crumbs of each report from SPOT directly on a map like google maps. Because it uses Satellite rather than mobile and by definitiion Satellites are above you there is less chance of not having coverage so less chance of someone scratching their head wondering WTF you are.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

So SPOT is essentially a small sat phone, and sends an SMS via sat phone? My main question before I buy it is, does it use the mobile phone network in any way? If so I can't rely on it, as when I need it I will be off the grid.

Guest steve-nz

SPOT is good, but sends track at 10 min increments - which when flying could be quite a distance.

The other option is SpiderTracks, which while does cost a lot more, updates every 2 min - and uses iridium for data.

Guest Howard Hughes

Doesn't use mobile signals at all, SMS data is sent from office in the US!

The ferry pilot I flew with used one when I flew from USA to Oz, people were able to login and keep track of where we were on our journey!

The reviews for SPOT are not great on Amazon.

There is another called Delorme I think, and it seems to use more robust technology.

Before buying I think it is important to understand how satellites work.

Guest Andys@coffs

Impoortant to understand if the reviews are for our use.......use of GPS or SPOT for that matter in an aircraft is vastly different to use on the ground in heavily treed areas or cities.

Bottom line is that teh Satellite technology used isnt all taht different to GPS and you will understand the difference between ground and air cause you'll have seen it yourself. In a backpack on th back of a motorcycle down in a heavily treed valley will be vastly differnt to sitting on top of the panel in an aircraft in the right orientation with nothing but one layer of perspex between in at teh sat's it needs.....

See recent post of video into Great Keppell Island in a low wing Texan, that guy has a spot on his dash, why not ask him?

Andy

The reviews for SPOT are not great on Amazon.There is another called Delorme I think, and it seems to use more robust technology.

Before buying I think it is important to understand how satellites work.

Here is a bloke using Delorme to log his trip when he is flying his new Revo trike home from the factory in Florida as we speak https://share.delorme.com/GladeRoss

Here is his story if your interested http://www.trikepilot.com/members/profile/3231/blog-view/blog_831.html

By the way he has the new 912is motor

Regards Bill