Aerobatic Accidents

From another thread:

Surprised ATSB get into it when a couple of 'top" aerobatic acccidents don't get looked at.

Doesn't surprise me at all.I recall a phone call after one accident urging me not to fly my aeroplane as it had the same propeller. My answer was nope, I had no concerns about the prop, I had seen enough on tv and papers to make up my own mind.

And even it was a prop failure - I allow enough height for a couple of things to go wrong. And if it ever does I like to think that I'll have enough presence of mind to continue to fly the aeroplane so that I walk away from it.

Height with the energy to gain more - parachutes just feel so comforting.

I tell my students they just need to manage the energy state of the aeroplane at all times. e.g.

- chemical energy - don't run out of fuel

- kinetic energy - stay below the red line

- potential energy - stay away from the edge of the sky

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest SAJabiruflyer
From another thread:Doesn't surprise me at all.

I recall a phone call after one accident urging me not to fly my aeroplane as it had the same propeller. My answer was nope, I had no concerns about the prop, I had seen enough on tv and papers to make up my own mind.

And even it was a prop failure - I allow enough height for a couple of things to go wrong. And if it ever does I like to think that I'll have enough presence of mind to continue to fly the aeroplane so that I walk away from it.

Height with the energy to gain more - parachutes just feel so comforting.

I tell my students they just need to manage the energy state of the aeroplane at all times. e.g.

- chemical energy - don't run out of fuel

- kinetic energy - stay below the red line

- potential energy - stay away from the edge of the sky

Reminds me of my Ab Initio instructors quotes "Stay in the middle of the sky". "Pull back on the stick and the houses get smaller. Push forward and they get bigger. Keep pulling back and they get bigger real quick" and my favorite "Keep the blue up and the green down". Of course the first few hours all I heard was "My Aircraft" 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I recall doing circuts in the C152 at my home field, during my GA PPL training. I had been flying early ULs for a few years, and had about 400 hrs in them, with a couple of successfull forced landings under my belt. We UL pilots knew it was wise to stay high in the pattern, and we had already mastered sideslipping. I still flew them often while doing my GA training.

My very capable GA instructor keep telling me "your too high, your too high"...(It was just my style, and my landings were always fine just beyond the numbers.) I had grown a bit tired of this, so I threw it into a full-on sideslip, knocked of a couple a hundred feet, then back on approach as I asked "Hows that ?".....He never told me I was too high ever again !!??................................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I tried that in a Tigermoth late last year, with all that draggy stuff hanging out in the breeze, the ole girl came down like a runaway elevator,,,,ended up pouring on the coals to actually get to the strip! I do enjoy flying the Eurofox almost up to the numbers and then slipping it all the way down :-)

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

The Eurofox is a great looking aircraft with all the style but not the weaknesses of the Skyfox/gazzelles...Can't wait to try one on myself !..............................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Guest Maj Millard

"Tigermoth Pete" who flys rides out of Shute almost every day, always uses a full sideslip for landing, followed by the nicest wheel landings. It's part of the ride, and he usually plonks it down right in front of our hanger....never get sick of watching it...especially the side slips !.................................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

"Tigermoth Pete" who flys rides out of Shute almost every day, always uses a full sideslip for landing, followed by the nicest wheel landings. It's part of the ride, and he usually plonks it down right in front of our hanger....never get sick of watching it...especially the side slips !.................................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Used to see him do the same almost daily in Cairns when he was based up here, some skill involved... wish i had taken the chance to go on a flight with him