What plane is best for new flyer

Guest nsmflyer

Guest nsmflyer

Following on from my supercat thread, what plane then does the forum think is the good all round, affordable, safe plane for the new flyer.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts, please also give explanations why you think the plane is the suitable.

Guest pelorus32

Hi nsmflyer and welcome,

as Student Pilot would say:

wasya budget and wadidiya learn on?

That will help us to answer you.

Regards

Mike

Guest nsmflyer

As my intro in the just landed section, I was and still am interested in gyro's however have been disheartened with the lack of info and access to trainer's. Especially hard over here in the west.

I am looking at the Ultralight Plane avenue now to see if this organisation and associated flyers offer a more welcoming and easier access than the gyro brothers can. I'm sure the gyro's line will improve with new blood and more instructors but for the moment too difficult over in the west for us.

I have tracked down a instructor from Avon Valley Ultralights and and hopefully going up for a TIF tommorrow afternoon in the gazelle they just got.

So have no experience in ultralights except 3 GA hrs 3-4 yrs back. Am trying to feel my way for prices and planes.

Budget would be low.

• 1 month later...

Plane for new pilot

Have a look at the Quicksilver GT400. It is a nice cheap rag and tube real ultralight which should be easy for a newly trained ultralight pilot to handle. Stay away from gyro's unless you can get a very good instructor. We have lost 3 gyro pilots around here in the last 15 years, 2 while learning to fly. I also know another who used to live around here who got killed.

Happy flying,

David

Gyros

Have you contacted Paul Bruty, at Ballarat re gyros. The plane question? How much money?

one or 2 seat?

Slow or travel capable?

Tri or tailwheel?

Construction material. Rag & tube, Plastic (fibreglass) SUPERplastic (carbon fibre etc) Wood & rag (cheap & personal) Sheetmetal, For the gifted builder or buy outright.

High or low wing, Want to see in turns, get sunburned etc.

Bit like a chinese restaurant, So many choices, then you have to look at the manufacturers and models.

Much like picking a good wife, but a lot harder. Don't rush into it! Nev

• 1 month later...

hello Nsmflyer, if you are looking at training options in the west check out sport aviation academy at wyalkatchem, approx 2 hrs NE of Perth. I have been learning with them over the past few months (I am up to about 3.5 hrs solo time) and have found CFI's Glen Hawser and John Welsh to be very good and have I really enjoyed my training. Glen is also a LAME. They fly a Jabiru 160c and a 230c. Both are modern low hour planes and Wylie has a great airfield with a 1500m long main runway. Though I have not had a fly in a gazelle, I have sat in one and they do feel like they are from a previous era compared to the much more contemporary Jabiru. After looking at several aircraft with a view to purcgase I keep coming back to the Jabs for performance, payload and price! Search on Sport Aviation Academy on the web to find them and talk to Glen.

Hi nsmflyer, I learn't to fly in a gazelle and it was a very forgiving plane to learn in, very stable and easy to fly, but then I looked around the hangers and found the jabiru and after flying in one I was hooked, so after I had got my license I then went and learnt to fly the jabiru and think that the jabiru is the way to go. For a new pilot I found that swaping hands for flying was a bit tricky at first, but with plenty of practice and a good teacher it can be acheived. The best thing I can suggest to you is do you want to fly over distance, get a jab, if you just want to fly, go for the gazelle, it is just as much fun.

hi nmsflyer do your rescertch properly first can i afford this plane do not think that i can use it as a trainer to pay for it second why do i need it am i going to do a lot flying third how mutch is repaires in surance cost of hangered do i buy second hand or new finance is the big question how mutch are you willing to spend on your dream machine my idea was spend 40 000 k and have 40 000k worth of fun and enjoyment on a second hand plane but as was pointed out to me in two or three years that plane may onley be worth 20 000k buy a new plane for 90 000k two or three years latter 80 000k i bought a new storch s it now has 350 hrs of very enjoyable flying lands in a tenis court 14 to16 ltres an hr depens on what revs very stable at 37 knts for checking out swiming pools going some where 105 knts great vision all round it is great to learn in it was on line at ysht took it out of there but thats another story sad for some good for me best of luck in your search for your dream machine

Guest pelorus32
I think Australia is fast becoming the nation of rec flyer's that is obsessed with the Jabiru:laugh:I have flown only a hand full or so of aircraft in my time (mainly GA) but, I think that it is similar to the ford vs Holden thing when it comes to loving or hating the Jabiru - but for me I cant stand the Jabiru :ah_oh:

So I think at the end of the day, one has to go up and get a good feel for an aircraft before making a definite decision as to what is the best aircraft for them to learn on.

brilin_air, you make a good point with the fly over distance vs. just wanting to fly argument, but then there are other rec. aircraft that can match the speed and then some of the Jabiru, that are not a Jabiru.

To me the jabiru is 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif but its cheap and fast;)

WARNING....WARNING....WARNING....

these are NOT acceptable thoughts. You should immediately recant and duck for cover. I can here the whirr of wings as the Jabiru crowd come after you.

Please wash your mouth out immediately....otherwise they will certainly get you:angry:

How can you possibly say that you don't like the Jab? I tried and I'm still recovering from my wounds.

I am offering concessional membership for foundation members of Jabiphobes Australia - the umbrella (and flak jacket) organisation for people like you and me Chris - join us, the more the merrier. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Commiserations

Mike

Hi Chris, you are right about other type aircraft that are around, but since we travel to Bundaberg 2 or 3 times a year i just wanted something locally built that had room and relatively cheap to run and own.

Hope to see you in Ballarat one day. Brian

• 4 weeks later...

ok, Q. from wannabee flyer on type of craft to purchase. Required to fly x country approx 140-180nm 3 or 4 times/mth. My selection and like,[but im only a observer] is the Sapphire LSA. Would this aircraft be suffient for job even flying IFR [i follow roads] and if selecting this aircraft what the best craft for learning in. i was thinking along lines of a drifter or quicksiliver ,thruster i read is a good one to learn in [for if you can fly one of them you find every thing else a lot better] A GA pilot telling me gliders are a very good way to learn flying. Or would it be better to start in a Jab or Lightwing type an convert over. Cheers TP.

Seeing as how the Sapphire is a taildragger, you would probably be better off learning in a taildragger as well. What you pick probably is governed by what is locally available.

The sapphire is a fairly slippery beast so you will need to have a reasonably long strip, much longer than a Drifter or Thruster requires.

David

• 1 month later...
Guest landmann

I flew 2 hrs this morning in my Savannah Adv. Landed at Upolu on the big island of Hawaii in 25mph wind. My ground speed averages 95 mph and 5 gal per hr fuel with the Rotax 912 uls. Landing a stol takes a little training but it's a great little plane. They don't win and beauty contests on the ground but airborn, they are beautiful.

Martin

I'm not too sure about the gazelle, seems to be a problem with the visibility out the front.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpAiYOw2HKk

David

Hi David,

That's outrageous and the CASA boys never even batted an eye lid, just continued lion around doing nothing, as usual.:big_grin:

Rick-p