Locking Your Aircraft

I wanted to take the Quicksilver to YWOL last week but was informed by Dave that I would have to stay with it at all times as he hadn't fitted it with a locking mechanism - I also didn't have an ASIC card but that's a different thread :)

Question - Do the majority of owners have locks fitted and if so where and how?

Cheers..........Doug

Doug,

The CT has a lockable cabin but CASA deems this as inadequate. From what I understand one needs to apply a locking system that makes the aircraft inoperative ... just in case some dingbat/terrorist breaks in an gets the idea they can wreak havoc with an ultralight. I guess this means that someone whose prepared to breaks into the cabin area immediately looses incentive when confronted with a second lock ... hmmm :confused:. In keeping with this logic (or rather the reverse, locks only keep out honest people) I fit a bicycle lock around 2 of the 3 blade prop which effectively makes the plane inoperative unless the lock is removed (bolt cutter job). More common is a throttle lock mechanism with padlock (also no match for a bolt cutter).

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Paul,

So am I to infer that there is no set mandate from CASA regarding standardisation of locking systems? Essentially, if bolt cutters are defeated then it's OK?

It just that I'm building the Skyranger soon and thought that maybe this could be something I could add whilst I'm building rather than as an add on afterwards.....

Cheers.......Doug

Guest bateo

I also have a cabin lock but also a secondary throttle lock.. This can be adequate for things such as fly-in's and Airshows as I legally can have the door un-locked or open for display, as long as the secondary throttle lock is attached.

I have a small metal tube that wraps around the throttle at idle position so that it cannot be pushed in. This is the secured on by a small padlock. It is a home-made job but it is legal as it secures the aircraft to becoming 'in-operative'.

Coming back to Pauls comments on Locks and Bolt cutters, If the aircraft is secured in-operative with a lock of any description to any other member of the public, it is legal.

I have heard many over the years..

Prop, wheel, throttle,steering, cabin, magneto/ignition cover locks...

Also, a good one I like is a special Isolation key.. Acting as like a "Kill switch''.

Although the only issue (correct me if I am wrong) is the lock must be visible to 'detour' criminals and also let others aware (CASA or Authorities) that the lock is in place. This also prevents accidents with pilots trying to take-off with a lock operative. E.g Known cases of pilots killed having forget to take the steering lock off.

Guest brentc

It's not actually CASA that enforces it and sets the rules, it's DOTARS.

You need to have a visible aircraft lock of some kind and if there's an aircraft cover you need to adhere the warning that the device is fitted. From memory it's around $5,500 in penalties. If your aircraft is under 'supervision' of another pilot, it's ok.

Throttle locks, brake disc locks, prop locks, nosewheel locks are all ok.

Technically my central locking and alarm doesn't suffice as it's not a visible deterrent.

Guest bateo

Thanks Brentc,

I should've mentioned DOTARS not CASA.. my mistake.

Well there is a few ideas there Doug to head you in the right direction, it is not too difficult to customise or design some sort of locking device.

If you're going for a throttle lock, make sure the plastic knob on the end of the throttle can't be screwed off and allow the lock to be easily removed.

Cheers,

Ron

When this requir3ement came out a couple of years ago they were invited to Old Station to explain what was and was not suitable. They looked at a lot of aircraft and some were rejected.

There was information on Dotars site giving specifications for suitable locks which have to comply with a certain Australian Standard. Of course the AS was not known to the local locksmiths but I bought what they thought would pass and had no problem, but an el cheapo lightweight padlock would possibly not be suitable. My lock is probably the heaviest part of the plane except for wheels and engine.

One point that I would like to make here is that the locking device has to be completely visible and can't effectively impede the safe operation of an aircraft.

In other words a device or an action on the part of the pilot that could be missed and left in situ or overlooked and not reversed and by some quirk of fate the aircraft is started, taken off then as a result of that device or action comes heavily in contact with the ground causing death, bodily injury and property damage that pilot who caused the incident would be in it up to his neck.

I'm not going to spell it out for all, for obvious reasons, but please think about what I have said here.

The reason for my observations is because I have heard a couple of aircraft owners make comments about how they have fixed their aircraft so whoever trys to take them is in for a big suprise, this in the eyes of the law is a no no.

Regards,

Rick

As I recall, the regulations specify a particular lock which costs around $50.

I have a $6 bicycle lock and integral cable obtained from one of the big hardware chain stores, wrapped around the propellor with a bright red sock saying "Remove before flight"

David Tanner

We use a clamp + lock on the mixture for the Cub. This prevents starting, and that's not going to happen with external locks.

I'm not convinced that external locks give us, (the owners ), adequate protection - forget the security aspect - which is none & Buckleys! Think of damage to the aircraft, and whether your insurer will be convinced that you took adequate security measures. A good parallel is locking your car or house.

The threat of opportunity theft of the aircraft, for whatever use, is always there - but it's foiled if they can't start the engine.

happy days,

Dotars reps told me that the lock has to be secure against all attempts to subvert it. I raised the idea of locking the prop with a chain and they said "The prop could be unbolted and the chain removed and it all put back together , hence it was not suitable" The other problem is that if the starter was energised with a prop lock there could be nasty damage done to prop or airframe.

I walked past a petrol tanker the other day on the outskirts of Melbourne.

No one in the cab, I think he was in Maccas getting a burger - motor idling away and cab unsecured.

Imagine the damage if driven into an building with all that fuel on board!

we live in strange times

regards

Guest bateo

Wow, I just recently did my dangerous goods licence for transporting Jet A1 and Avagas.. Thats an immediate disqualification of a licence!.. We sure do live in strange times, it goes to show that common sense is not all that common these days!