Not today Jose'....!!

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

I had planned to fly down to the Shute harbor area early today from Townsville, to do some work on an aircraft, and also hopefully hook up with Dave Jacka and his crew, who had planned to Onite at Shute harbor during his flight around Australia.

Forecast was not good with 25-30 kts of wind expected, and scattered showers expected on the coast. Weather radar and satilite didn't look too bad, so I decided to launch early to beat the winds expected. I know the route intimatley having flown it many, many, times as my work commute, so I decided to give it a shot, and go take a look.

Departed Montpelier right at 7am, with twice the fuel onboard for the intended two hour flight, in nice air with about 10nm viz, to the west and south.

Rain was gathering on the western edge of Mt Elliot as it usually does, so I extended out to the West to avoid the rain, and set the GPS for Home Hill airport, my first checkpoint onroute. It was not going to be a high flight, with ceilings already down to 1000ft.

Then with a lowering ceiling I'm now down to 600 Ft, with good VFR reference out each side and I know exactly where I am with reference to local hills etc. The only thing not right was the viz ahead, and the now light rain cascading off my wingstruts. Not at all uncomfortable once you get things trimmed out, and set your limits...like absolutly no lower than 500 Ft, and no less foward viz ahead than I now had. Sitting there waiting for the weather gods to give me that nice break ahead.

I got within 15 nm of my first waypoint, but that expected break ahead just didn't come, and the ceiling was getting lower now also.. That's it,... time for that all important turn-back, and I set course back to Montpelier. I have to tread my way through more crud for five minutes, and then back into the nice smooth clear air over homebase, that I departed into. A nice, if a little heavy landing on 36, and the plane is shortly back in it's hangar.

I make a couple of calls and cancel SAR with wifey, and look back to the South. The rain curtain is approaching, has completely obscured Mt Elliot, and within 15 minutes it's raining at Montpelier.

When I arrive back home in Townsville the cloud is now firmly on the deck, and it's steadily raining, which continued throughout the day.

Hard to believe I have actually managed 40 minutes of quality flying today, and one good decision to turn back when I did.. .................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Pud and all, as rough as it all sounded it was an enjoyable and memorable flight in trying conditions. but always nice to exercise one's skills and privilages to hopefully stay at the sharp end .......................................Maj...004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Well done for getting that report to us so early Maj. You must have been airborne right on first light ! Just noticed , (0930 AEST) , that Dave was still on the ground at Shute Hbr.,and that the radar shows less than ideal conditions to the North . He won't be happy ,but I can think of worse places to be stranded than the Whitsundays .

Bob:wink:

Guest Maj Millard

Have heard that they got to just South of Mission beach today, and had to turn back also, due probabily the same weather I ran into. Sounds like they'll be overnighting at Ingham tonight, up the coast from Townsville. not a bad little town close to the airport and they should enjoy a stay there. Dave and one plane landed at Ingham, and the other at Dunk island....well at least they are exploring the tropics !!.....I flew today after lunch and will try to go South again tomorrow weather permitting, still a bit windy but weather in the townsville area generally improved today.............................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif