Pasha Bulker

Guest Fred Bear
I am thinking about hiring a Jabiru from Hoxton on Friday and taking a flight up there to have a look!

I really hope you do get to mate so you can post some pics but dare I say showers and gusty winds forecast for Friday?Looks as though we are grounded again 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Guest osprey5

I had a look late Monday arvo and it is very impressive. Note of caution (or maybe its just me being stupid) - I was using multicom 126.7 to communicate with an a/c leaving the area when I arrived in the jab- as it was pointed out to me that area is now ctaf 122.65 so no wonder I didn't get a response.

Well worth an historic visit!

Another Vampire owner !

Gday Ultra, I just noticed you fly a Vampire, we have SV02 at Katoomba ! Its out of rego at present and is currently awaiting some new tyres. It will then go to new hangerage at Bathurst where its a bit safer to fly 2 strokes (plenty of paddocks) its a ripper little ship. Do you still fly one ?

Cheers Aussie

yep, i still fly it, i have only owned it since January, and have flown about 15 hrs in it already from Cessnock. I will be trailering it up to Camden haven for the fly in soon and flying from there..

as for the Pasha bulka, i thought all the local traffic would have been on Willie CTAF freq of 118.3??

The "Pasha Bulker" will likely be there for a very long time if they don't get it off the beach soon. Usually a beached or grounded bulk-carrier will start to crack at the point between the forward engine-room bulkhead and the rear bulkhead of the aftmost hatch. Engine-rooms are heavy, empty hatches are not, and water-ballast is held in the ballast-tanks to even out these stresses and prevent local stress concentrations devloping. The hull is taking huge hits from rollers at the stern, and the cumulative stress will start to fatigue the steel until it undergoes brittle fracture. Hard aground as she is, the hull is unable to move in response to the impacts, so the steel itself must absorb the impact energy. The water-ballast is actually holding her on the sand, exacerbating the situation.

This ship is in extremely serious trouble. She has to have a certain amount of ballast in her to remain upright if and when they try to re-float her, so they can't pump all the water-ballast, fuel, lube-oil and medium diesel (for the alternators) out to lighten her. Then there is the suction of the hull firmly embedded in the sand to be overcome. A king-tide and some good strong salvage tugs might work, but time and the weather is not on the side of the salvors.

There is a very good likelihood it will begin to break up in situ and end up being scrapped where she lies, unless she is allowed to just corrode away as the "Sygna" has been doing since about 1975 on Stockton Beach.

Anyone who wants to see her intact should fly there ASAP. If you prefer flying over wrecks, you may only have to wait a few weeks. The next problem is likely to be how to deal with three different types of oil coming ashore on Nobby's Beach.

And take a look at those flood waters. What you are looking at is normally a panorama of dry green rural country, not the inland sea as seen here. Our hearts go out to the many people affected. This pic is taken viewing from over the Newcastle city coastline at 3500'.

Paul

Flood.jpg.bf49cf9ee6b38e422863cca0cf0791c8.jpg

Guest disperse

ok i dont know anything about salveging large ships sunning themselves on the beach...but i have seen a D9 dozer belly out in wet sand at mascot airport a number of years ago ...now the surface area of the dozer is nothing compared to the big beach goa we have up there......the suction on the dozer required 2 x 100 ton cranes and another dozer + pipes inserted under the D9 to try and relieve the SUCTION created

Hmmmm ..... me think that baby's gonna be ther a long time OR slowly leave in pieces

Guest ozzie

has anyone seen the footage from when they tried to remove the "Signa" from Stockton Beach just a few miles up from the Pasha? It was played on local tv on the weekend. they tried to pull it straight off the beach and as soon as the stern had some water under it the ship broke in two as the stern rode up then down in the swell. One bounce and it snapped right where Dieselten discribed it. I think the best way to get the pasha off would be sideways. but they still have to bounce it over the reef. I have done quite a few dives along this reef in the eighties and it is not that deep there 5 to 8 mtrs to the top of the reef. Maybe they will have to fly in those Indian ship wreckers to break it up.

if anyone is interested in Newcastle or shipwrecks in general try and find a book called 'Bar Dangerous" A fantastic account of the history of Newcastle Harbour as a working port and it's 200 plus wrecks, Nobbies headland was originally an island. the beach the pasha is sitting on is 'manmade'. so you could imagine how hard it would be to try and round Nobbies and push through the swell and wind into the harbour. i am following this with interest (and looking forward to the inquirery) as i hold a restricted 5 mariners ticket. but never on anything this big.

ozzie

talking to some of my new workmates here in the navy, they said what they need to do was pump out the sand from Under and around the ship so that the weight is borne by the surrounding water instead of creating the load imbalance towing it off,

sadly with the weather looking like it is, i dont think this will be able to be done for some time.

Guest osprey5

I noticed that they've now got a NOTAM on the ship while the salvage ops are in progress to keep a/c clear of salvage work.