NOTAM Decoding

I continue to encounter new abbreviations and aviation acronyms. Please decode this and tell me what the big numbers after the place names mean. I know most of it - lets see how you go. Thanks.

LJR SE QUEENSLAND

MIL C17 JET ACFT OPR BLW 5000FT AGL ON THE FLW RTE:

SUNSHINE COAST/MALENY/MALENY 307018/KILCOY 296019/KILCOY

166009/KILCOY 183017/AMBERLEY 330016/AMBERLEY

SFC TO 5000FT AGL

FROM 07 110430 TO 07 110600

Awesome thanks. Is there a reference online for this level of Notam decoding. I am trying to prepare for my XC.

Also is a date group of 10121145 as AEST = October 12th at 0945pm AEST.?

After searching CASA and other places I am at a loss as to find out where the NOTAM decoding as above is stated. Can someone please tell me where this information document can be found? They don't make it easy. Safety should be easy?!

On page GEN3.1-3 of the AIP it states that the NOTAM "codes" can be found in ICAO Annex 15... Which is available off the ICAO website for $109!!! 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

I'll have a closer look tomorrow when I have my other manuals with me.

I know it's been argued to death before, but in this day and age there is absolutely no need to use abbreviations that belong to the days of the Telex and Morse Code. I realise it is needed for international standardisation and uniformity but why not have both plain English and the abbreviation?

It's ironic that we have to use this newfangled interwebs thing to learn how to decode NOTAMs. I'm convinced that NOTAM/TAF/METAR/ARFOR speak is just an ego thing so pilots can feel superior 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Agree 3

Guest Howard Hughes
Why are pilots expected to learn twenty pages if acronyms ?

So when you are doing a diversion in flight and writing them down by hand, you won't need twenty pages for each airport!

It's actually not that hard to decode NOTAM's and you don't really need a list of all the abbreviations. When I did my CPL theory (almost 30 years ago), we went next door to the briefing office (remember them) and got an area forecast with NOTAM's and read through them each day. After six weeks we were all adept at reading NOTAM's.

In the modern age it is even simpler, you can sit in the comfort of your own home and use NAIPS on your computer, phone or igadget, I suggest if you do this once a day for a month, you'll be reading NOTAM's like a seasoned 747 Captain!

Thanks Denny. As comprehensive as those documents are, I can not find a FLW RTE statement in any of them. This is my bug bear.

Thanks Denny. As comprehensive as those documents are, I can not find a FLW RTE statement in any of them. This is my bug bear.

It is just my guess, but isn't it "On the following route"

Guest Crezzi

Have you looked in the Abbreviations section of the AIP ?

Cheers

John

John is right, it is ON THE FOLLOWING ROUTE, blah blah. The bearing and distance used is the same system used in flight planning if the position you are tracking via is not known to the NAIPS system ( eg. Farmer Joe's paddock ) so we use a bearing and distance from a common known position to plan via.

H.Hughes has a great suggestion, I am fortunate in that I read tese things everyday at work so I can easily decipher them as well as met messages, read a few and if you get stuck just ask the question either here ( not all answers will be right so be carefully ) or your CFI, failing that try the Brisbane or Melbourne briefing office or any Met office.

Good luck with it.

Yes I know where to find the abbreviations are and what they mean, but there is yet to be shown where there is specification for the meanings of the locations and the big numbers. And yes - I know what they mean now too, but where is it specified? And who knows what other little NOTAM secrets lurk in the private codes of the ones who create this stuff.

• Helpful 1

Guest Howard Hughes

Crayon, if you follow my suggestion, then send me any ones that stump you via PM, I will help you out!

Cheers, HH. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif