Jabiru engine life how many hours. Fuel and a few others

Guest Condog

Guest Condog

Hi whats the rough engine rebuild costs and hours. It seems there are a lot of jabs with 2nd engines between 600 and 1000 hours which in my total novice opinion seems low.

2. Is either the 2200cc and 3300cc got a reputation better or worse thn the other.

3. Id also like to know the fuel lpm for the 3300cc at 100 knots and 90 knots if anyone knows

If youve read my other threads ive decided either a 170 or 230/430

My preference is the 170 for fuel consumption. But will it physically fit luggage if i wanted to do longer multistop trips. Like is there actually enough physical space behind the seats for a few bags. As ive not seen a 170 up close.

Plus the extra usable weight is critcal as im 100kg

Thanks in advance and big thanks for other responses ta.

Guest Andys@coffs

The engine is constantly evolving and as such the results you get to a question such as this may well be skewed by the exact configuration of the engine the poster is reporting on. Its like asking are commodores good when you know there is 30+ years of models to choose from and unlike commodores there isn't any Vx model number to tell them apart.

As I understand it the solid lifter engines rose to a peak in reliability (circa 2006/7 from memory) and then plunged when J changed to hydraulic lifters, and has I'm told now risen to equal or better that of the solid lifters with the introduction of roller cams.......but only time will tell. J will tell you that poor life is a function of poor treatment by owners and in my case that is true, but I doubt it is the case for every failure.

My 2005 solid lifter 3300 is being pulled to pieces and overhauled now after only 200hours....but its that low number that is part of the issue. The bearing guides and seats were shagged and Im told that's par for course for an engine of that age and hours combination. Replacement guides won't be jabiru sourced but rather K liners (My aircraft is 19 registered so I have more leeway on what can be done) The main reason for the tear down was corrosion in the bores though and that is a combination of my lack of use and a mix of weather over the last 3 years on the mid north coast trying to approximate Noahs flood every year for the last 3 or 4.....

The bores on Jabiru's today are steel and they corrode if not used/ and or not inhibited correctly if you know you wont use for a period!.

Im told that there are new bores being worked at present that will solve the corrosion issue....but as we have seen from the evolution of these engines over time its often a case of 1 step backwards for each 2 steps forward.....

My rebuild will set me back circa $8-9k so not insignificant by any stretch..... But when I get it back I might aim for more flying less talking on forums......if humanly possible for me to do that!015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif I will also spend a few extra $ (in fact circa $1500 installing full 6 cyl EGT and CHT monitoring. These engines operate close to heat limits and its easy to get them beyond if you don't know what you are doing. In my case the hottest 2 cylinders were the 2 middle cylinders and unlike many other GA engines where the hottest cylinders are generally those closest to the firewall, that is apparently the norm for Jabiru engines in jabiru aircraft according to my mechanic who is an acknowledged expert on these things... The middle two while hottest weren't dangerously so, apparently if too hot the head/ cylinder interface gets damaged and the heads pull down into the cylinder (I think I was told that!) but in any event EGT/CHT with appropriate alarms shouldn't be a hassle in the cockpit and is normal for larger GA/commercial engines.

Andy

query.........the 4 cyl jabs, i'm hearing run best if you don't "mother" them........run them hard. Ok constant 2900 revs approx, is up there in relation to WOT.....my query.....if manifold pressure is around 28" at WOT, what is it at 2900 revs. ( 75% being the usual bench mark for cruise ) I'm finding it hard to see that a drop of a couple of hundred revs to achieve cruise revs, then achieves that 75% power setting.

russ

Since the cylinders on a 2200 are essentially the same as a 3300 why would one engine need to be run hard? Also there is a place in South Africa where they get very good life out of their engines but the field is at 2,000 feet where it can't achieve full take off power.Nev

Guest Andys@coffs

Jabiru tell us that the engine needs to be cruised at around 2850rpm. In the 3300 that equates to round 120kts and a fuel flow of around 23lph. WOT can consume around 35lph (from memory)...RPM not hugely higher but very much more thirsty

The shape of the needle and where the dashpot sits determine how rich the engine runs. It only indirectly relates to the throttle position. You can not get the rich setting at any real altitude, as the dashpot will not fully be raised. There must be a lot of variation of jetting out there with some of these engines. Anyhow my point is that the cylinder does not know what engine it is on. The fuel flows should be proportional to the engine capacity and be about 150% of the smaller engine.( at the equivalent load). Nev

Guest Condog

Thanks for your replies. Wow at 3000rpm is pretty cruisy for a motor. So to have the problems and life issues ive been made aware of since i started looking into this, im amazed they havent thrown the thing in boats for an anchor and pulled the motor out of anything that drove past for more power, more reliability and better fuel economy...