Training area maps / details published anywhere?

pj8768

I went to a talk conducted by Canberra ATC in early August, and they showed a map of Barton training area to the NW of Canberra.

I've since misplaced my copy of it, was hoping to keep it as it looked handy to kmow the boundaries, which included adjacent boundary for aerobatics.

It looked semi-official - but where are these details published, if at all? Can't find anything online from VTC, Airservices, Ersa, canberra aeroclub.

Why aren't these details easily accessed - would be handy for other ALAs as well. Some ALA training area boundaries probably go back decades from some flying schools - even an unofficial bootleg map would be ok.

You contacted the flying school? The school put a big colour copy of them in the Aero Club building also but that's a little hard to photocopy...

I've got some copies that the school hands out. The PDF files are pretty big but if you could get me an email address i'll get them to you. Otherwise email [email protected] and i'm sure they'd be happy to send a copy out.

Every school has different boundaries in their AOC. I think it's more to do with them telling CASA "This is as far as we will let student pilots go". It's also why the instructors make the "we're 5 mile south of xxx airfield conducting aerial work above 4500 for next 10 minutes" radio calls.

Thanks Volksy

I'll send an email.

It would be handy to have some idea for other fields as well, even an adhoc rough guide if there's nothing formal about it.

When I fly to Orange for example I remember being a slightly radio-shy newbie, and now approach from the south with trepidation.

I know the scanning lookout is always important, but knowing there might be someone or a few out there practicing turns near a field might reduce the risk of a collision.