RAAus AGM Proxies

Admin

A reminder (Per Rule 30(i) of the Constitution) that members holding a proxy vote on behalf of an appointing member, must submit the proxy form (Appendix A) no later than 24 hours prior to the Annual General Meeting, in order for the vote to be deemed valid. Copies will be accepted.

Please ensure all proxy forms (p.22) are forwarded to RA-Aus Head Office, or received by the Secretary, no later than 10:00am on the 12th of September 2013.

Proxies presented at the meeting are ineligible for counting.

Mark Clayton

Public Officer

I think that the instruction and form for proxies are unclear and can lead to confusion.

Rule 30 of the Constitution says:

"30. Appointment of proxies.

(i) Each member shall be entitled to appoint another member as proxy by notice given to the Secretary no later than 24 hours before the time of the meeting in respect of which the proxy is appointed.

(ii) The notice appointing the proxy shall be in the form set out in Appendix A."

The note at the bottom of Appendix A says:

"Note: Proxy holders should bring their signed copy of this instrument to the Meeting."

Does the proxy giver have to send the original of the "Appointment of Proxy" form

1. to the Secretary and a copy to the proxy holder, or

2. to the proxy holder who then sends a copy to the Secretary.

[i chose option 1.]

The form sent out with the magazine is different to the one specified as Appendix A in the constitution.

Could proxies using the amended form be challenged as invalid as they are not on the form specified in the constitution?

Probably hypothetical, I know, but there are those who will go to some lengths to thwart the will of members.

As they are primarily administrative documents, perhaps these forms should be in the By-laws, where they can be more easily updated, rather than in the constitution.

Both versions of the Proxy form have the line: "vote in favour*/against* the following resolution(s): *(Delete as applicable)"

This is somewhat confusing if you wish to vote for some resolutions and against others.

Hopefully Special Resolution 14 will pass and removed this confusion.

As "No business other than that specified in the notice convening a general meeting shall be transacted at the meeting ...." (Rule 24(iii))

I would like to see the Proxy voting system REPLACED by a Postal voting procedure for any motions on Notice including Special Resolutions at A/GMs.

Special Resolution 13 goes part way to achieving this - I recommend you vote for it.

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif