Need help in getting a Maxair Drifter 582 manual

Lior

Dear Sirs,

I have friends who need a printed manual for the Maxair Drifter 582 (not Austflight, not Lockwood Super Drifter) in order to be licensed to fly this aircraft. Such is bureaucracy. Does anyone know how to get one or know someone who knows how to get one, and if so can they share this info? This is somewhat a stab in the dark, but any information would be welcome. Thanks, Lior.

• 2 months later...

Based on inquiries made by my syndicate members, it seems that Maxair never manufactured any 582 powered Drifters and all thus powered aircraft in Israel are retrofits. This means that I have an aircraft that has never had an official POH written for it. This means that unless our CAA changes its mind, my syndicate members cannot take a written test on type familiarity and the plane will fail its next C of A.

Is there a way to produce the necessary certification economically? The A582 manual is easy to come by, but may not be of use. If I may ask, what is the airframe serial number?

There is an MU-582, that is the one lockwoods make, I think Maxair made the XP, and the MU-532. I think Lockwoods have taken over the production of the Drifter and it's variations, so may be able to use that document.

• 1 month later...
Had any luck with your flight manual issues?

Hi, thanks for asking. I have corresponded with Lockwood. They said that they had posted a manual to me three weeks ago (they accept PayPal these days). I'm still waiting for it. Will update the good folks here should things change for the better anytime soon.

Hi, thanks for asking. I have corresponded with Lockwood. They said that they had posted a manual to me three weeks ago (they accept PayPal these days). I'm still waiting for it. Will update the good folks here should things change for the better anytime soon.

Hopefully that will all work out for you then.

• 3 months later...

Hi, folks.

It appears that this saga has come to a successful conclusion. At the behest / insistence of my syndicate, the Israel Sport Aviation Association and other pilots, Israel's CAA conceded that the flight manual used by a flying school here for Drifter 582s would be good enough to be the official flight manual, once a test pilot verified the data. So I took a CAA test pilot for a whiz a few weeks ago. He loved the Drifter flying experience and later approved the manual.

So this means that our Drifter will pass its CofA inspection and its co-owners can get their licenses on it. Life rocks!

Lockwood sent material that turned out to be an assembly manual, somewhat updated from the Maxair days. It had a flight chapter, but this was very short and lacked essential data.

Thanks everyone for your attention and kind words.