AeroVee

Mark

Does anyone have any experience of this 80hp VW conversion, supplied as a kit from the US? I have just ordered one which should arrive in October. The following comes from the Sonex website.

"The AeroVee 2.0 is a complete VW Conversion Engine Kit Package, by AeroConversions, a product line of Sonex Aircraft, LLC.

The AeroVee 2.0 package is a 2180 cc, 80 hp Aero-Engine that can be run on 100LL or Auto Fuel. The complete package weighs 161 lbs complete! All of the supplied components are brand-new, zero-time parts.

The AeroVee comes as a complete kit that you can assemble yourself in approximately 12 hours, with the aid of an AeroVee Assembly Manual and an instructional DVD."

I plan to install it in a Aeropup. I should get the kit for that about the same time. Designing and building the engine mount is something I do not know much about yet.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mark

Engine mounts

Hi Mark

Have you run this idea past JC, he may be able to assist you with the engine mount as he is always looking into engine options for his Aeropup and can keep the blue print for perspective buyers in the future. If JC is happy to assist then get your engine delivered to his factory as I did and make yourself available for a few weeks to assist with the manufacturing of the dynofocal mount. It was my plane that the Subaru EA81 mount was designed for and I had a lot to do with it as I spent 3 weeks in the factory assisting the welders do their stuff.

If you need any assistance or photos of the firewall forward package once you get going please dont hesitate to ask, I appreciated all the advice and assistance offered to me by fellow pilot/builders.

Cheers

Knighty

Thanks for the contribution Knighty. I have only just placed my order and John was most keen on the Jab option. However I like the VW and I am optimistic that it will be a good thing. Once the project becomes more advanced and I get to know JC better then I will talk to him about the options.

All the reports I have of the Aeropup and building from the kit are positive. Has this been your experience? Are you happy with the final outcome and is it all that you expected? What is the HP of your Subaru engine and why did you go with that?

Thanks for your offer of assistance, how does it work here that I can contact you directly.

Cheers,

Mark

Subaru's & Aeropups

Hi Mark

I thought you mentioned in your first post to this thread that you have already ordered the VW? I.E. Does anyone have any experience of this 80hp VW conversion, supplied as a kit from the US? I have just ordered one which should arrive in October.

In regards to your other queries I purchase my Aeropup already built less firewall forward as the 83HP Hirth seized less than 10 hours old (temp seizure I was told!). My plane was the factory demo, number 2 off the production line and had 61 hours on the clock after they temporarily fitted it with a 582. I did not have time to build one from scratch BUT ended up pouring 350-400 hours into it to date getting where it is now ready for final inspection (mounts, cooling, cowling, digital instruments etc). I have also a huge trailer 60% complete ready to store her in.

I opted for the Subaru because of the bullet proof design & reliability factors. Mates owned gyros in the past and these engines loved to rev very similar to the 912 series. The engine I have chosen delivers roughly the same specs as the 912 as per weight versus HP, this was calculated after installation of the redrive unit! Another deciding factor for the max available HP is that I will be operating from short bush strips, 40 Celsius during summer, 544kgs full of fuel & 2 up and best of all I am already at 3000ft before climb-out. I could have chosen a cheaper/less HP engine BUT the weight factor remained the same, in fact this engine is lighter than std due to alloys being used, machining etc.

In regards to my Subaru it is a USA remanufactured EA81 Aero engine MPEFI, redundant controller/ignition, blue printed (see google : RAM Performance). This particular engine was dyno tuned before delivery and retorqued. Normal specs for the Ram EA81 is that they really punch out the HP (158HP @ 5400rpm) however sold as 140HP units over the counter. I had to purchase redrives and props to suit this type of performance, ended up after heaps of research utilising the Autoflight gearbox from Sub4 people in NZ (160hp unit) and a 70†Magnum Ivoprop. The prop is pitched to the maximum setting and the engine on full run-up is still revving static at 4200rpm and stretching the crap out of my 3 nylon ropes tied to the 4WD. If the bird doesn’t climb out at 2000fpm I will be surprised considering the static thrust that the powerplant is producing right now. I may even have to consider detuning the engine, we shall see! I have organised a commercial pilot to do the testing for me and I realise I will have to learn how to fly all over again even after 500 hours, the torque will be my main concern. The plane will initially be flown from our local airport in Orange until I have learnt how to fly and its done at least 50 hours without major mods or anythin fallenoff,cracked,broken,FUBARed etc Ha Ha.

If you would like to contact me directly just click the mouse on my user name and it will highlight ‘do you want to send a private message’ and we can go from there.

Cheers

Knight

Hi Knighty,

Yes you were correct. I have ordered the AeroVee, it should be dispatched in September. When I mentioned options I was referring to building the engine mount. I would want to discuss this with John but I will wait until I have more technical detail on the engine such as the position of the engine mounting bolts etc. I will also discuss the mount with the tech people at Sonex, I am confident they will be helpful. Performance metals have also referred me to Aeroweld at Balina as a business close to me who may be able to assist. I have not had the opportunity to speak with them yet. Thanks for your interest.

Mark V

Mark

I am building a Whisper Motorglider powered by an Aerovee, which I had assembled in South Africa and imported with the aircraft kit. I also have the engine mount which I would be happy to provide any details on. There are a dozen or so Whispers flying in South Africa powered by the Aerovee. Get onto the forum at whisperaircraft.com and you can get direct feedback from the people using the engines.

Good luck

Murray

Thanks for the suggestion Murray. I will look up the Whisper web site. You must be happy with your experience of the AeroVee. It sounds like a simple but reliable motor, direct drive and dual ignition. Sometimes the simple things are the best. Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for this suggestion a while back. My Aerovee will be shipped in October and I plan to build the mount in January. Do you have engineering drawings or photos of the mount that I could take measurements off or at least take a look at to get started?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...