UK PILOT FLYING IN OZ?

flyerme

Hey guys, I have a friend from the UK who has a current uk ultralight licence and owns and flies both a thruster and an rR.V, he wants to take a holiday here in oz and wants to know if he can fly here with his uk licence? if not whats involved for him to do so? any help asap much appreciated thanks guys

I'm guessing he must have a PPL as well as his UK ultralight licence, so that he can fly the RV? In which case maybe he has an international licence allowing him to fly GA in ICAO member countries?

As far as the 'ultralight' side is concerned, 95.55 is fairly clear about what you need to fly them in Australia, if 3 axis he needs to join RAAus and have a pilot certificate issued by them, or HGFA is an option if he wants to fly trikes. To get that certificate I think he just needs to do a BFR at an Australian school to accompany his application for the Pilot Certificate.

I don't think there are any 'reciprocal agreements' to allow visitors temporary memberships at reduced cost so it would probably be an expensive exercise for a short visit.

I'm interested in a more definitive answer too, so perhaps Motz will have more on the subject, if not I'm sure a call to the RAAus Ops Manager or President would sort it out. Let us know the answer if you find out that way.

PS - your visitor isn't Jack coming over to deliver the next enthralling episode from his diary is it? 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

• Like 1

Hi Flyerme,

I had a UK NPPL(M) for microlights, and was in the same situation. I emailed whoever was the Ops Manager at the time, and they confirmed I needed to be checked out by a school, and then could be issued a pilot certificate - effectively a BFR. No need to retake exams, although my school (wisely, I would say) insisted that I retake Nav, so he may be limited to 25nm. Depends on the CFI, it seems.

The trick is how long the cert takes to be issued once he qualifies, versus his time in-country!

D

• Like 1