Flyable Hours

I was doing some spreadsheet calculations on the difference in the length of the day from first light to last light for different times of the year and found it interesting how the length of the flyable day varies significantly with season and latitude. For example Hobart gets more flyable hours than Cairns (both in summer and yearly total). Also interesting how twice a year, the length of the flyable day is exactly the same for all locations. Eric

1189924322_flyablehours.JPG.7a7f24dfaeb4578aad83ce0f79fbf587.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

We moved from QLD to VIC a couple of years back, my logged hours have almost doubled , which surprised me with the weather here being less than sunny for a lot of the time. With daylight savings in the summer months I get around fours to go flying through the peak of the season. I've already been able to go flying a lot already with last light at around 20:00 and the air is quite often so smooth in the evenings ,lovely !!!!

I've also noticed that in the southern states we tend to fly when the conditions aren't perfect ,whereas up home if it was a bit crappy I would put it off till another day , down here a better day might be a month off :)

Matty

• Like 1

You only have to adapt in Victoria. Don't like the weather? Come back in 20 minutes. Autumn is a terrific time here except for the smoke from the burning off. Nev

too right Nev, the thing we've had to learn is the mexicans don't make plans according to the weather, they just make plans and let the weather do what it does!

As I write it is an absolutely spectacular day,,,inwhich I have to work,,,,maybe a run down to Tyabb tomorrow for the SAAA meeting, or a saunter over the Grand Prix on the way (must see if there's a notam on that one)

Matty

• Like 1