board nominee

Guest br1anb

Guest br1anb

hi there

Just to introduce myself

My name is Brian Bigg

I've nominated for an RAA board position which closes this week.

See below for my personal introduction.

Let me know your thoughts

Brian

---

Brian Bigg

You can blame Tony Witlox.

On page 38 of the most recent Recreational Aviation Australia magazine Tony was quoted as saying “if you are a member of an organisation it’s no good to sit on the sidelines and expect others to do the work. I am in a position where I have the time and the will to see this organisation work.â€Â

I thought to myself as I read, ‘I agree with himâ€Â.

Ten pages further into the magazine, I came across the notice of the board election and the calling of nominations.

Co-incidence? There are no co-incidences.

And so I hereby put my hand up to do my bit.

I have had a pilot’s licence for 21 years and have been a member of RAAus for the past three years.

I fly every weekend of the year come hell or high water and I fly in and out of controlled airspace at every opportunity, both to keep my skills up and to train the air traffic controllers to get comfortable dealing with ultralights. They still sometimes act like my Zephyr is the first ultralight they’ve ever seen.

I have been a television producer and journalist for the past 28 years. I have worked in the news business since I was a boy and in the past ten years in other sorts of televisions shows. I am producing Police Files Unlocked for Channel 7 at the moment – I made ‘Who Wants to be a Millionaire in 23 countries and (bless me father for I have sinned) when I lived in Holland I was one of the people who helped bring Big Brother into the world. I know, I know, I’m sorry.

I am also the Deputy Editor of the Northern Star newspaper in Lismore. I lecture media students at Bond University on the Gold Coast.

I understand very clearly the challenges faced by the RAAus in dealing with the public, the media and regulatory authorities.

Just trying to get my colleagues to understand that an aeroplane doesn’t crash because its engine has stalled, but because its wing has stalled is something I’ve spent 20 years doing.

For a brief period in the early 1980’s I worked in the Public Relations Unit of the Department of Aviation, as it was known then, so I understand some of the mentality of the Public Service which looms over us.

I am an active member of the Ballina Aero Club, the Northern Rivers Aero Club and the Gold coast Flying Club.

And because of my media experience, I believe I can help the already good job the board is doing to promote our passion to the rest of the world.

The RAAus is a vibrant, forward thinking, positive and growing organisation. I am proud to be a part of it. The same courageous people on the board should not have to carry the load alone when I ‘have the time and the will to see the organisation work’.

Thanks a lot Tony Witlox.

RAAus.board.

I am not in your state, ( meaning where you live) but GOOD LUCK anyhow, Brian. Big Brother and all that other stuff, might have been better to keep it under wraps, but since you have confessed, we will try to forgive. Since I've gone somewhat philosophical, cop this:-

..If your engine is missing, often you will find that it is still there. If your wing is missing, be more concerned. N...

Guest floatHigh

Welcome Brian.

Although I don't know you, you do come with excellent credentials & experience.

I hope all goes well, and you are able to represent us!

William

Hi Brian and welcome. I like your ambition but like others I am not too sure about your credentials, big brother for goodness sake:confused:

But I do wish you the very best of luck.

David