Tralee Airfield

eastmeg2

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience with Tralee airfield in Southern Canberra. On the VTC it is just inside Canberra CTA and I'm wondering if there are any special procedures available to be able to fly RAAus aircraft in & out of there, without having to be fully CTA equipped (No Transponder etc).

Rgds,

Glen

I suppose I'll just have to check my ERSA (assuming Tralee is listed) and make some phone calls.

The reason I asked is that the company I work for is building a new site close by and it would be good to be able to fly there from time to time.

Rgds,

Glen

Thanks Ross,

Tralee doesn't appear in my ERSA (updated to 15th March 2007 edition) unless it goes by another name, so it may come down to gleening some local knowledge and a phone call to Canberra Tower to ask what's permissable.

Rgds,

Glen

Glen - spoke to some local old-timers today at the Snowy River Aviators AGM and was told that Tralee is in CTA to SFC, but people used to fly from there with nothing said. As usual, someone abused it and now it can't be done.

Local GA pilots take-off there and have to be vectored straight out by ATC. RAA cannot.

Ross

Hi Ross,

We visited Tralee by car yesterday and managed to catch up with one of the local GA pilots who flies there and got some contact details for the airstrip owner/operator. We'll try and see if we can get their permission - first part of a three step process as I see it, the next two being phoning Canberra tower to get permission to fly to Tralee, then radio clearance from Canberra Tower during the flight itself.

It was good to visit there first to see where the commercial approach paths are for Canberra and to rule out direct approaches from the East.

Have to say though that the weather aint looking too promising at the moment and looks as though the windy season might have started a month early this year. The GA pilot we spoke to had just aborted a flight to Temora due to low cloud, rain and turbulence. From what the pilot we met has said you are correct about the GA guys being vectored straight in & out of the control zone.

It is very close to the company's new site though, about 200 metres.

Rgds,

Glen