Well we finally purchased a 2013 Pioneer 300 Kite

DrZoos

Pretty chuffed, we flew it with the prev owner for about 1.5 hours, pulled off two perfect landings, with a joystick when im used to highwing and a yoke. Plus again in wrong seat, lol.

Its a slipppery sucker , but slows down nicely when throttled back. I found having the fixed gear and fixed prop much easier and relaxing in the cockpit.

Cant wait to get flying it tomoz.

• Like 5

Yeh thanks Maj

Lovely to fly, did a heap of circuits then a cross country yesterday

We have encountered a problem though.

On touch and goes with both the fuel pumps running we are getting a low fuel pressure on climb outs from about 300 feet to 900 feet

The fuel pressure when tested on the ground , the electric alone is producing 0.25

But when we climb out its dropping 0.01 every 3 - 5 seconds

Its going down to about 0.12 - 0.13 and then slowly ticking back up

Which is weird because if the fuel lines where kinked or blocked you would think the pressure would go down and then stay down till you backed the throttle off.

I dont think its a pump issue as its arrived New in April 2013 into Australia , but i havent checked the serial number against the SB yet. And i know from ground test that the electric pump is producing and sustaining good pressure.

So its wierd. The temp was warm, but not hot at about say 27 C

Any thoughts would be appreciated ta. It will be under warranty but it wouldnt hurt for me to throw it open to views in here so i can gain some knowledge on possibilties

What you have in the go-around situation is a pitch situation and a high fuel flow situation. Were the fuel level(s) getting low and the pickups not getting fuel all the time.? The other possibility is that the actual fuel flow available doesn't have a margin above the engines requirements to maintain the pressure. All aircraft should have the fuel flow verified before the first flight. You would want something like 30% above the max required by the engine. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Dr Zoos, try a takeoff on just the engine pump, ( no boost) and see what pressure you run. .4 to .15 bar is the range of pressure to the 912 carbs. Could be you are actually pushing too much fuel to the carbs for too long, and they can only handle so much. What brand is the elect boost pump ?...From the sound of it the elect boost is producing too much pressure, and the mechanical is well within Rotaxs recommended range, as you would expect.............Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

If I use my boost pump at all on the Lightwing, it's only on just prior to takeoff to about 500 FT which is not that long. The Lightwing doesn't 't even come with one standard, and will feed just fine with gravity and the mechanical. I fitted an elect boost just in case the mechanical took a dump.....................Maj....

Hi guys your a treasure trove of brilliance.. I only just took delivery and have unfortunately not had time to read everything to the extent i need to for this situation. I am going to get it looked at this week if they can fit it in by our L2 / LAME. The dealer is excellent so far and sounds like he will get it sorted. But im just curious as you never stop learning and I thinkt he more i know about this stuff the better .

Its my first real experience with a low wing and thus with booster pumps.

Nev the fuel flow test is exactly what my almost LAME xcountry instructor said and he was in the plane at the time.

It could be a pitch issue, but there was plenty of fuel in the tank we where running off.

I prob wont fly it again till its fixed, im too low hour to be a test pilot and i think it will be booked in for this week. Plus its due for its 25 hour so i dont want to fly it anymore till it has that and the issue fixed. So i cant test the pressures Maj. With and without the booster i never saw anything like 0.4bar the highest i have seen is 0.27 i think... Sorry but new plane, i was trying to learn to fly it and keeping a look out so i was more closely watching it when low and ignoring it a bit when high.

I dont know the brand of pump sorry. I will try to see tomoz.

Well after 23 hours we finally finished the 25 hourly and some warranty issues. Couple of silly design errors made some simple tasks very arduous eg a bolt way to long as a rudder adjuster stop that couldnt be adjusted without removing the horiz stabiliser and removing most the rudder and loosening cables... A ten minute job became a 5 hour pain in theass.

Couple of other minor issues. But now time to rack up some big hours cant wait.