Savannah Muster

rankamateur

Is anyone here interested in an under-wing camp over in north-west NSW, very near Aerokits, perhaps in March this year after the weather cools off a bit but before it gets too cold. Might be a good chance for some to have a shake down before a trip to Nat-fly at easter.

• Like 1

We are thinking 10th March 2012 for this event at my Ag airstrip 29 degrees 8.700 minute S, 150 degrees 43.500 minutes E @ 1200 ft. The co-ordinates look to be the wrong way around to me but that's how they came off Google Earth.

Just out of curiosity Rank, is it open to anyone even if they don't have a Savannah? Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to make it any way due to visitors from Canada that weekend. Just thought you might get better participation if folk knew if it was restricted to Savvy's or not.

Oh & btw - Welcome to TAA. Hope you enjoy it here & don't forget to give us all a report on the weekend if it comes off, so those of us that can't make it know what we missed out on for next time maybe.

Just out of curiosity Rank, is it open to anyone even if they don't have a Savannah? "/quote]We don't have any rules at this stage, we were even going to accept a Jabiru, but it is only a grass ag strip 750m long so more suited to bush planes. Having said that it is mowed 15m wide and is fairly smooth. I am going to cater for it myself so I just put it out there to see who wanted to be in and when suited. This thread seemed dead so we discussed it on the other forum and chose to run with 10th March.

Affirmative, as you would say, Dex,the strip runs NW 750m and the sock is about 200m N of the co-ordinte point, cross strip is only about 350m long to the NNE. The weekend will come off, assuming the weather Gods smile on us, What may vary is whether we have two or twenty two guests. I am a firm believer in quality over quanity so am not concerned, I expect however many turn up, we will have some excellent Savannah (insert aviation) discussion, with-out having to stand around on the concrete at the Outback stand at a fly-in somewhere. I mowed the strip today and it has poured rain again tonight so it is a good job we didn't try for an early February date.

There is a video on you tube that gives a bit of a look at the outlook, it is a bit old now, but it was the first landing of the first XL Savannah that we built at Aerokits for the last Narromine Nat-fly. It gives a bit of an idea of the terrain, the strip was mowed 30m wide back then, it was good for Reg to practice his short field landings across it, 18m from touch-down was the best we measured with full flap and 23m clean, in the VG before this one.

this one lives somewhere down in Victoria now.

• 2 weeks later...

If no one has any other suggestion or preference then we will go with the 10th March 2012. I will organise lunch and dinner Saturday and breakfast Sunday, lunch also Sunday for any short distance late departures so I will need definite interest by the week before because I will cater for you myself. Give it some thought, no one is going to be fussy about savannah exclusive, just bare in mind the the strip limitations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Clifton fly-in has now been cancelled due to a localised storm dumping 33mm of rain which is now pooled on the middle section of the runway! I am still keen to have a muster here, lets make it happen.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Savannah muster is this Saturday and Sunday, I any one coming? If you are planning to come, need fuel provided , special diet or favorite mixers let me know by PM. I will have to sort all that out in town Friday.

This is still a bit of a worry http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/watl/rainfall/pme.jsp, good job they are usually wrong!

Just looked at the weekend weather, It is still coming hot and strong for Saturday and Sunday, I am going to call it off and shoot for a date in spring since my autumn and winter dates didn't work out. It will be warmer then anyway, it was cold enough at Old Station last weekend and it wouldn't be much better here either.