Carbon Monoxide

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

Just a quick note to alert members.

I am not yet convinced of all the details here but: I had an experience yesterday that suggests to me that the simple CO detectors that many of us have in our cockpits may not be entirely reliable.

In this case the detector showed no signs of CO during or at the end of the flight however I had my suspicions that CO was present and took steps to alleviate the situation.

This morning the detector had changed colour to indicate CO even though the aircraft had not been flown subsequent to my last flight. It looks like the detector has had a "delayed reaction".

The short lesson I think is that CO detectors may not be completely reliable and pilots should always be alert for other signs of CO in the aircraft.

The source of the CO has also been identified and resolved.

Regards

Mike

Guest munch

sounds like you dodged a bullet there Mike, so glad that your experience did not have a more sinister outcome. Bit of a wake up call for everyone there methinks 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

The CO detector in question is well and truly within its service life, and is located on the panel right in front of the pilot.

Its an Aviaquip one and expires June 2008

I'm a bit suprised the detector did not alter colour faster... any ideas?

Ben

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Shortness of breath

Mild nausea

Mild headaches

Moderate levels of CO exposure can cause death if the following symptoms persist for a long measure of time.

http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2001/nov/32-35.pdf

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/CObroforweb.pdf

Guest ozzie

Was the detector fiited near a possible fresh air draft. like a seal on the door or fitted were not much circulation was occurring. Fit 2 maybe.

Guest brentc

Generally once the carbon-monoxide has been removed from the aircraft, the detector reverts back to it's original orange colour. To test you can pass it past the exhaust of your car and it will go dark, then light again, many times. I would suggest that if your detector stayed in the 'grey' state, then it must have had a fair dose of carbon-monoxide, which is a bit of a worry. If you have fumes from the exhaust, it will usually recover, however if you have raw fuel in the cockpit, you'll find that it may not recover.

Guest pelorus32
Generally once the carbon-monoxide has been removed from the aircraft, the detector reverts back to it's original orange colour. To test you can pass it past the exhaust of your car and it will go dark, then light again, many times. I would suggest that if your detector stayed in the 'grey' state, then it must have had a fair dose of carbon-monoxide, which is a bit of a worry. If you have fumes from the exhaust, it will usually recover, however if you have raw fuel in the cockpit, you'll find that it may not recover.

G'day Brent,

that's interesting. I wasn't aware that raw fuel generated CO as I understood it was a product of combustion. Does that mean that the sensor will change with exposure to contaminants other than CO?

Also just a quick note about Ben's pic. I was actually flying the other Tecnam which has the same sensor but it is placed directly below the one in the pic - under the radios.

I don't believe that it is in a direct draft of fresh air.

Regards

Mike

Guest brentc

Dunno! I know that raw fuel will upset my CO2 sensor.

I dropped into your Shepparton airfield today Mike. Stayed around an hour. The two Tecnams were dragged out around lunch time. A few stray members in the aero-club. One Tecnam took off before me and a 337 was in the area. A couple of Jabs from Latrobe Valley on their way back from Bundy dropped in too but stayed the night as the weather was less than their personal tolerable weather conditions. I headed back. There was severe turbulence forecast up to 5,000 ft, so I played it safe and headed back to Tooradin at 9,500ft direct with airways clearance. Only around half an hour's trip. Airservices were most obliging with the clearance no doubt after the AeroCommander that came to grief in similar conditions.