GA Career opportunities..??

Doing my CPL at the moment and would like to know what GA Career opportunities are out there?

At the moment I dont see the allure of the airlines (apart from the money difference) and think that i would be happier doing scenic flights around the islands back home! Is there decent long term GA work available where a respectable living could be earned? Or am i just not seeing yet why the airlines seem so attractive to some...

Any thoughts welcome!

Guest Howard Hughes

Hi B-E-N,

Unfortunately it's fairly hard to make a living in GA, in particular when you are starting out. But with experience there are jobs that you can make a decent living, the RFDS being one.

I got my start with Kakadu Air. They have done a lot of advertising for pilots recently, something that was unheard of when I was starting out!

Guest Howard Hughes

I know of a few people who have worked at Coast Watch and enjoyed it. I believe Cairns base is the hardest to get, you would probably be at Broome or Darwin initially. The downside, not so good for family life as they are often away for up to 14 days.

• 3 months later...

My son in law started out with his PPL. Managed to get a job working for monkeys cause he was only getting paid peanuts. A year later he landed a job cattle rustling near Oodnadatta. He stuck that out for 5 years and then got a job with Cairns based mob flying Islanders and the like to the Torres Strait islands for 4 yrs. For 3 yrs now he's been flying DASH 8's for Airlines New Guinea. I think he is about to apply for a flight position with Cathay in the next few weeks. Stick with it. Work hard. You'll get there if you really want.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...