Wiring question - Savannah S

rick morawski

I have been pondering an anomaly in the Savannah wiring, that is I reckon the fuse in the charge circuit is way bigger than is recommended in the Rotax installation manual. They (ICP) include a whopping 50A fuse for the purpose but the Rotax manual recommends 25A max or serious probs could occur. Any other builders noticed this and what if any changes have you made? I am completly rewiring my Sav due to installing an EFIS and have left the 50A fuse out and put a 30A circuit breaker in instead.(I couldn't get a 25A breaker)

Let the forum speak.

That fuse is just a final protection circuit…I left mine in as it will take ages to blow in the scheme of things. Fuses are the last line of defence not the the first..circuit breakers are the main line and will protect the circuit a lot better..the 50 amp one is for when all else fails

• Agree 1

That fuse is just a final protection circuit…I left mine in as it will take ages to blow in the scheme of things. Fuses are the last line of defence not the the first..circuit breakers are the main line and will protect the circuit a lot better..the 50 amp one is for when all else fails

I think the wiring will melt or catch fire before that fuse blows.

I have recently had excessive smoke in the cockpit from the positive wire from the starter to the rev counter heating to such an extent that it burnt. I have now inserted a 10amp fuse to prevent a reoccurrence. The problem was a faulty starter switch