Gliding in Western Sydney.

I live in South Western Sydney and want to get into gliding. Reading websites and watching videos has got me excited but before I go, I'd like some feedback from people who actually fly in my area. For example, best place to go, clubs to join and any advice or information forum members wouldn't mind sharing.

Hi.

Unfortunately I do not live in your area but there are not many glider pilots on this board so I thought I would answer.

The nearest club to you is Sothern Cross Gliding Club. It is important to live as close as possible to your club while learning because you need to spend as much flying time as possible. You can always change clubs once you have learned.

Give it a try.

Thank you both for the replies, I began a CPL a few years back but had to put it on the back burner due to family commitments. During that time the one thing my instructor instilled in me was that gliders were the coolest things in existence. Every second flying story told was of great times in gliders. I guess I'll make my way down to Camden and give it a go.

Learning to fly gliders may help you with a CPL. There is a chance that you may be credited some hours.

In any case, IMO, every power pilot should be a glider pilot. You can do all the things that you are not allowed to do in a power plane in a glider. And this is not only my opinion Here is an article about a talk given by the safety officer of a European airline. We have some commercial pilots including a few 747 and Airbus captains (its the only time they actually get to fly a plane :) ).