Thanks From farri

farri

To those who answered my ,Looking For Maxair Drifter parts,Thank You.

I`ve known Wayne Fisher since I first started flying,I own Drifter 25-182 which was one of Austflights trainers,that`s why I was looking for Maxair Parts,it`s been waiting a major overhaul from when I stoped teaching,it`s just taken me a while to get going again but I`m now looking foward to flying it again.

With all of these very expensive aircraft around these days I recon they`ve

re-invented the wheel but made it square,What does anyone else think about this.

Cheers everyone.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Guest Juliette Lima

Wow Farri,

A can of worms here.....there are still us diehard types, although diminishing in number, and those who are talking with their feet (and wallets) as they move toward the ever increasing range of newer aircraft.

The move toward the 'newer types' has grown exponentially in recent years as is evidenced by the huge number of 'plastic and metal' aircraft at Natfly in the last few years.

There is actually a lot of discussion on this site (from philosophical to practical) as to the merits of basic ultralighting relative to the newer sleeker aircraft.

I read with interest yesterday of a student pilot advising a fellow potential student pilot, "to train in a jabiru,not the gazelle, as the latter was old fashioned compared to the former".

What then of our beautiful Drifters?

Thank goodness for Wayne Fisher (Lismore) and Darling downs aviation who are pitching their buy price within the reach of budding aviators wishing to own their own aircraft....heres hoping success is theirs.

As for us diehards....the vision from the front seat of these beautiful aircraft is unsurpassed as is the ability to put them into a small paddock in the event of an emergency.... Sure the journey is longer, but then so increasingly are my reflexes....which are gently compensated for by the Drifter.

The certified Drifters are brilliant and tough trainers and hopefully will fill a market segment for years to come.

As far as the Fisher Mk1/Maxair is concerned, Wayne has been able to fit a full front canopy which makes for delightful flying.....although this might not be necessary in Nth Queensland.

Hope you get up and away soon...

Cheers

JL

Farri on safe, affordable safe ultralight flying.

Jl,

Thanks for the reply,I`ve had more than my fair share of engine failures over the years,I`ve owned 3 Rotax 503 and 4,Rotax 582 engines,I`ve flown 8 different types,from a Wheeler Scout to the Zanair 701 STOL and the X-air 582,that are available to me at the moment,from my strip, however I sincearly believe that with the excelent visability of the Drifter and it`s excelent handling only the skill of the pilot is left to make it the best and safest aircraft to land in the event of an engine failure,I`ve never been scratched nor ever scratched a student.

I don`t have any problem with the more modern aircraft except that I believe they have become out of the financial reach of most of our young pilots ,whom without,the RAA,will just become a rich mans club in the future,I`ve seen it happen up here with the local club.

We need to try and keep safe affordable aircraft going.Those of us who got the sport going were commited to this objective.

Cheers All. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Well said Farri. I'm not a Drifter pilot but I do so agree with your comments. If we can't nurture young pilots, and provide cheap but safe aircraft for them, not only to train on,but to be able to build or buy for themselves, then we run the risk of loosing our future.

It used to be a two class aviation society of GA and RA. Now we are rapidly heading toward a two class society within the RA itself.

Safe flying everbody, Doug

Money Spinner.

Thanks Deskpilot,at least that`s two of us who think so however in my opinion the RAA has simply become another money making system and I`ve got lots to say on that but that`s for future threads.

All The Best.

farri.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• 2 months later...

Chocko, I've just started flying lessons out of Innisfail with Ron Watson who trains with a Jabiru. My limited experience has been very enjoyable and rewarding to date. Carlo Prete also flys from Innisfail with Lightwing or a larger Jabiru.

Regarding the differences between earlier designs of ultralights and newer all-metal and composite machines, I'm glad we have the choice. I went for a short flight in an weight shift trike and really enjoyed the visibility and 'fun factor'. I imagine some of the high drag aircraft like the drifter would be very similar. One of my goals is to be able to fly cross country, so learning in a Jabiru was desirable. It would seem we're blessed with choice.

Cheers, Mathew

727 Engineer.

Hi Chocko,

Unfortunatly since I retired from teaching there has been no one to replace me in the Drifter catigory of 3 axis,as far as I know the closest Drifters are at Dalby.

I know that Bill Grombeck,who is a very expericenced commercial pilot and who got his recreational licence with me was trying to get an instructors rating and use his Drifter, however I don`t know what has happened recently,check with, The Far North Queensland Ultralight Association ,you will find them on the web,they are based at Atherton these days,if you can`t,get back to me.

I should have my Drifter back in the air before long,stay in touch,and I may be able to take you for a fly in it, if you wish.

Cheers,

farri.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Thanks Mathew & Farri,

Farri mate, I would love to go flying with you. I'll even pay for fuel and other stuff if you want!!!! Thank you kindly for the offer.

Mathew mate, do you have any contact details for the guy in Innisfail?? I'll try to get a hold of the bloke in Atherton first, but I prefer 3 axis:radioactive:

Farri will understand the feeling of pushing the throttle with you left hand and pulling back on the stick in the drifter....absolutely fantastic, awesome:star:

They are a light aircraft onto themselves and don't really have a peer IMO, but then I haven't flown for a long time and there are possibly similar aircraft out there now.

727Engineer,

(Off topic) I've posted a link to Ron Watson's website which has his contact details and a small amount of information regarding Innisfail. WatsonFly – Innisfail – 3-axis. It's a great place to fly and the value of flying hours is probably two or three fold over Cairns where you spend a lot of time just waiting for other traffic.

Send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Cheers, Mathew

• 11 months later...
Guest Maj Millard

On ragwing entry level

Those of us oldies who fought hard for our initial UL licenses in a dual ragwing trainer,and then endured the throughly enjoyable early-solo time in an underpowered Drifter, Thruster or whatever, know that there was a great deal to be learned from that level of aircraft, especially when you finally managed to fly/control the damn thing, in all sorts of wind, and then actually manage to pull off three decent landings back to back !!. Even if you could only cruise along in the 50-65 Knot range.

There's probabily no better lesson, than to fly a high-drag machine, with less horsepower than it really needs, and to have to milk it all the way. It's real simply, you either fly or die !. but you do learn real quick.

When you jumped out after a good flight, there was no doubt that you had just done some 'real' flying !! And I think those around us looking on, knew it too.

To learn to fly in a slick, fast trainer, and then to jump into one for the rest of your flying, is to miss the whole point of flying on the 'light side' in the first place. They might as well just go straight to GA !!.

I have tried 'fast and slick 'GA flying, and I know which one really turns me on the most !!, and also which one allows me to do the most flying, money wise. However being the liberal type that I've become,:yin_yan: I do welcome all and sundry,018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif as I believe that there is plenty of room for all of us. And remember "Flying is the best way to fly !' Cheers.....024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

To learn to fly in a slick, fast trainer, and then to jump into one for the rest of your flying, is to miss the whole point of flying on the 'light side' in the first place. They might as well just go straight to GA !!.

Ross,

You got it mate.

There`s a whole lot of guys out there who don`t know or don`t remember what the AUF/RAA and those of us who got things going, by instructing in the rag and tube aircraft,set out to achieve and that was,minimum requirement,safe fun flying.

It may well be safe fun flying but it certainly is not minimum requirement anymore,it appears to me, that,eventually, most of the instructing will go back to the GA schools due to the nature of the aircraft being designed today and the lack of incentive for young instructors to gain an RAA CFI rating, thereby alowing them to operate a flying school.

Cheers,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif