Aera 500 Map Updates

rankamateur

Guest Andys@coffs

Yes I have updated mine from time to time. Did I notice anything different.....No.....which isn't to say that nothing changed but just that I don't fly a large percentage of Australia in any form of repetition.

Cost...cant remember exactly but there is only one place you can get it from on the garmin website so there is no element of shopping around.....

Money well spent? technically yes, practically no......I think OzRunways is a much better option

Andy

practically no......I think OzRunways is a much better optionAndy

Thanks Andy,

That is precisely what I suspected, I have only used mine on the street so far, bought it as the $AU was sliding, probrably one of my less prudent aviation purchases. But I am used to watching a purple line while I hug a WAC, while I check off the ten mile markers, while I look out for soft places to put down, and discuss whether they are within gliding distance or not.

$50 to do upgrade and it does a I diagnostic to see if there are software upgrades needed /available. Wouldn't be without it as the ipad goes belly up with overheating so often (qld).

I can do software updates and check free updates of the free street map, when I finally get flying I will throw $50 away and update it.

Big lesson here is don't use the street navigation before you are ready to update the air nav charts because the update voucher expires three months after the unit first aquires a satellite.