Louvre Vent

rotor

I've got to be looking in all the wrong places - I want to put an Aluminium Louvre Vent on the cowl behind my oil cooler and can only find them on American and British sites .... Spruce etc .......

Surely I should be able to find one in Aus ......

Any ideas fellas

It shouldn't be too hard to make a louvre vent. Get some 0.5mm aluminium from Bunnings and cut a piece the size you want the vent. Then cut some slits in it using a stanley knife. Make a former from a piece of wood to form out the vents and then press the metal out to the former using a wooden rod with a rounded end.

0.5mm aluminium is very easy to work and unless you want a pretty large vent, it should be strong enough to withstand the aerodynamic forces. Making the wooden former shouldn't be too hard as you only have to make one forming dip and just move the metal along for each one. You might even try making a female former and a male former to fit it and then just press the aluminium between the formers in a vice.

The materials and tools required are so readily available and cheap it's worth a try, and you get the vent exactly the size you want and you could even shape it to stylize it a bit.

• Informative 1