How & why RA-Aus ought to expedite our own CTA endorsement

dsam

I think you all have buckleys chance of having the airspace changed. The red tape surrounding such things, and the cost of implementing into maps, atc systems (eurocat map upgrades etc) are too high.Noone who is asking for CTA endorsements wants added costs and requirements on the guys who don't want to use it. We are asking only that we look into the issue. If it can be accessed for those who want it (regardless of what hoops they have to jump through) without affecting those who don't want it then what is the harm?

We are asking only that the issue be looked into again.

Oh and your VFR routes through CTA or Class E above aerodromes would be an absolute nightmare for ATC. Class E is horrible, I am with Rhys on this one. IFR pickup is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Especially in the one time I've seen it.

Cheers,

Shags

I agree Shags. I'm not looking for airspace changes (at least not in the short term). As well, I'm not suggesting everyone on the RA-Aus register needs this RA-Aus + CTA endorsement (many wouldn't & shouldn't). Thoughtfully implemented, adding the possibility of an RA-Aus CTA endorsement need not impact negatively on any other RA-Aus flier not wishing to do so.

In my case (and many like me) who already own a 24 rego aircraft, equipped with a Mode S transponder - jumping through a few more hoops in my own aircraft to gain CTA endorsement via RA-Aus would be a real bonus to the safer enjoyment of my recreational activities. It would avoid the unnecessary costs & red-tape hassle of adding RPL + CTA in some VH aircraft I haven't flown before - only to go back to my own aircraft to use CTA as required.

I just hope that this RA-Aus + CTA endorsement issue is to be looked into again, as you said, Shags.

Cheers,

dsam

• Agree 3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learnt to fly at a Class D controlled aerodrome but then as soon as I was certified I was locked out. There used to be an exemption for the RA-Aus training schools allowing continued use at the controlled aerodromes under instructor supervision as ongoing training but CASA then pulled that restricting flying to solo only. They said if you want to have access to the airfield and the surround Class D airspace with a passenger then you have to do the RPL with the controlled area & aerodrome endorsements.

Seems to me just another way to flog RA-Aus and push the RPL over the pilot certificate.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Seems to me rhysmcc is an Air Traffic Controller.

Mate, in Oz you need a transponder in Class E even when flying VFR. If there is nearby Class C there is radar and the controller sees the VFR traffic and can vector the IFR around it or at very least warn it about the VFR traffic. This seems to work fine in the USA (been there, done that).

There are obscenely vast volumes of C, D and Restricted airspace in Oz. Compare to USA. Go online and check the Sacramento sectional chart and then the Fort Rucker, Alabama sectional. Fort Rucker is the home of US Army Aviation and Travis AFB is on the Sacramento sectional. Take a look at the controlled airspace around Travis and get back to us with what you find, mate.

• Agree 1

Guest Howard Hughes

In the US only live firing would be restricted airspace, everything else is MOA (Military Operations Airspace). VFR traffic can transit without clearance although they are 'strongly advised' to contact the controlling authority. A lot of the airspace tied up around Willy, Richmond, Oakey, Tindal et al could be re-classified if we had a similar classification in Oz!

It is interesting that since my original post at the top of this thread, it seems 36 out of 37 recommendations of the Forsythe review have been approved by Warren Truss to reform CASA. Here's hoping he makes sure at least some of those changes are forced to take place (I wish I was more optimistic about this actually happening).

Secondly, in the last e-mail newsletter from RA-Aus, there is an indication that they have made undertakings to Skidmore to go ahead with the possibility of CTA endorsements for suitably equipped 24 rego aircraft. Again, I am hopeful, though I reserve myself from optimism - but who knows... Perhaps common sense might prevail after all!

• Agree 2