CTEK Battery charger.

Downunder

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger.

Has anyone used the "recon" setting on them?

The manual says use it once per year but I'm a bit wary, my bat being only 14AH.

My "generator" light came on this morning while doing circuits. I had not flown for a couple of weeks and the battery dropped to 12V. I fly with all the lights on in the circuit and that combined with low rpm may have drained it a bit. I'm charging it up now and then I'll see how it goes....

The bat is about 3 years old.

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger.Has anyone used the "recon" setting on them?

The manual says use it once per year but I'm a bit wary, my bat being only 14AH.

My "generator" light came on this morning while doing circuits. I had not flown for a couple of weeks and the battery dropped to 12V. I fly with all the lights on in the circuit and that combined with low rpm may have drained it a bit. I'm charging it up now and then I'll see how it goes....

The bat is about 3 years old.

Do you know which technology the battery is. Is it LiFePO4, AGM, ordinary wet cell, or one of the others?

What is the brand and model number? The model number is a standard descriptor. EG. YB14LA2 will be essentially identical, no matter the brand.

This is your starting point.

You can often get charging info from the manufacturers website. For example, if the brand is Odyssey, go to the manufacturers website to find specific charging instructions.

Your CTEK is good for a number of battery technologies.

Maybe you could just tell us the brand and model number.

• Like 1

Leoch DJW 12-18...... yes, obscure.....it is sealed lead acid.

It does seem like it will handle the recon mode but I was interested to see if anyone had any issues with this mode.

2373_0.jpeg.495251e1daf71cf0cafe4569a0435dec.jpeg

I have had a AGM battery in mine for 2.5 years now and it has been flawless pretty much. Its one that is used in jetskis and a bit tougher I think it is 18 amp/hr.

Cant remember the name but I got it from battery world...it wasn't that cheap but if it can take the pounding and abuse from a Jetski its got to be good in a aircraft and so far its been terrific. Can not start the aircraft for 3 months and bang away it goes no drama

Mark

Normal motorcycle or car mode should be safest. Those SLA gel batteries swell up if charged too strongly for too long. Fun!

Yeah, generally top it up in "motorcycle" mode (0.8A) but giving it a hit in "car" mode atm (5.0A)...will see how it goes, then give it a "recon" if still not improved.

Thanks for the info on those Kyle. I'll check them out for weight/dimensions to mine....

Well now it's not charging for sure. 912uls, 200hrs

The round black thing (capacitor/resistor?) On the firewall looks to have blown some sort of white grease out of the centre of it ...

Great......no idea where to start........Hello google, my friend......

http://pointsforpilots.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/testing-rotax-912914-generator-and.html

This covers it well......might be the capacitor......

Can I join the wires (from the capacitor) together to get me going I wonder?

yes that is the capacitor a 22,000 uf needs to be 40v if possible but 25v will do. They can disembowel themselves it is there to stop blowing up your regulator just need to replace it. What voltage is on the capacitor if it says 16v on the side of it then it wasn't big enough for starters. That capacitor should not be exposed to the battery side when charging if it is wired correctly

Mark

Certainly do not join the wires together! The capacitor is connected across the positive and negative connections to the regulator. If connected together, you will have dead short in the system. As Mark say, make sure the replacement has a voltage rating of at least 25V. Preferably higher.

Element 14 in Sydney have 22000uf 40V.

http://au.element14.com/kemet/als30a223de040/cap-alu-elec-22000uf-40v-screw/dp/1572897

Not cheap, but what is when it involves aeroplanes?

Robert

Guest Maj Millard

Love my CTEK 5 amp charger....have used it in recon mode with no dramas, but generally use in motorcycle or auto. Won't use anything but lead acid battery in my plane.....also sourced from Battery world and 18 ah . Got five years out of my last one in the plane with just fluid check and top ups at 100 hourly.

I believe CTEK now has a dedicated charger for only the Lithium ion type batteries. Lots of cheap CTEK copies out there now but grab the CTEK for sure....great piece of gear.

yes that is the capacitor a 22,000 uf needs to be 40v if possible but 25v will do. They can disembowel themselves it is there to stop blowing up your regulator just need to replace it. What voltage is on the capacitor if it says 16v on the side of it then it wasn't big enough for starters. That capacitor should not be exposed to the battery side when charging if it is wired correctlyMark

It's a 25V, so good there, but will source a 40V. Is it "bigger the better" for voltage or 40V is optimum?

Thanks Rastus, I won't join the wires then. Anything would probably be cheaper than Rotax's price, I recon....

Disapointed it only lasted 200hrs......

The voltage rating is the maximum volts the thing can handle. There can be transient voltage spikes well above the nominal 12V system voltage. A 40V rating gives you a bit more ruggedness.

Happy to help.

If the regulator turns out to be cactus, there was a guy in Ipswich who makes a replacement that was designed by Klaus Grimm a while ago. It may be a suitable replacement. I haven't used one 'though so I don't really know.

Perhaps someone on this forum has used one and may be able to advise if it is any good.

http://www.powermate.com.au/

Good luck

CPS are showing the Rotax RECTIFIER REGULATOR at $175us plus postage... The capacitor is $144us (won't be buying that)....http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/912914magneto.php

I've heard the powermate's are popular with Jab owners but don't know of any Rotax owners with them....

Guest Maj Millard

The Powermates are a good thing, often used with Rotax 2- strokes but don't know how they go with 912s. Generally what stuffs the 22,000 capacitor in my experience is connecting the battery terminals incorrectly...even momentarily. Guess the regulator would be next in line ?....