Raked nose gear

Having a raked nose gear on my aircraft I am wondering if that would help in a nose wheel collapse ? If it dug in would it help stop the aircraft going inverted as opposed to straight down nose gear or would it just delay the process ? I thought it might help pivot the aircaft more horizontally until the mains touch the ground again.

A raked nose wheel, if it doesn't simply collapse, increases stability because it puts the point of rotation (the dug-in wheel) further forward of the plane's centre of gravity compared to a vertical leg that is attached to the fuselage at the same point as the raked leg. Both the overturning force (due to the plane's momentum) and the stabilising force ( the weight of the plane) act through the centre of gravity. One opposes the other. (Any residual lift generated by the wings will also add to the overturning effect because it opposes the weight). However, if the plane does have enough energy to flip, the raked nose wheel will flip it through a higher arc because the leg is longer.

rgmwa

• Agree 1