Another Newbie - Good first plane (value)?

SteveC

'lo all!

Still an RAA student west of Melbourne, VIC. Starting on circuits this Saturday (after a bit of a hiatus due to work demands).

I've been looking around for good first aircraft that wont break the bank. The Foxcon Terrier 200 looks like the goods, but I hear its a little heavy on the controls and difficult to trim. Any thoughts?

I'm a little put off the Jabirus - most people around the airfields I haunt at times call them flying surfboards, and a bit average to fly. Not to mention the horror stories and CASA restrictions now on the Jab engines.

Or should I just go the el-cheapo option and get an old Gazelle. I think anything I look at is going to be a step down after learning in a Texan!

• Like 1

'lo all!Still an RAA student west of Melbourne, VIC. Starting on circuits this Saturday (after a bit of a hiatus due to work demands).

I've been looking around for good first aircraft that wont break the bank. The Foxcon Terrier 200 looks like the goods, but I hear its a little heavy on the controls and difficult to trim. Any thoughts?

I'm a little put off the Jabirus - most people around the airfields I haunt at times call them flying surfboards, and a bit average to fly. Not to mention the horror stories and CASA restrictions now on the Jab engines.

Or should I just go the el-cheapo option and get an old Gazelle. I think anything I look at is going to be a step down after learning in a Texan!

I have flown a Terrier 200 and there is truth in what you have been told but still a good aircraft and I could have easily got use to it, I found it very different but the more I flew the better it felt, I would happily own one. The Jabiru is a very practical aircraft and cheap to run, the Jabiru is easily repaired, maintained and replacements parts available and cheap, yes they are a bit average to fly without experience on them but once you get use to them they are fine and the CASA thing can only improve things eventually, but I don't agree with it.

If you find an aircraft you like you need to know more about the way it was treated, storage, regular use, who maintained, experienced pilot or not, heavy landings from inexperienced pilots. I have owned five aircraft and there is no perfect aircraft for all situations. Currently own a J230, wish for an Amphibian.

Good luck with your hunt,

• Caution 1

One problem with the Terrier is the claimed 100hp, simply impossible from the Subaru in the specification level as it's offered, probably closer to 75, 80 tops.

The claimed 110 knot speed is not quite right either. Believe it's around 95knot cruise.